Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

THIS gem was first spotted by top Borough Park-Defender Martin Ball.

Haringey Council's PR team has bracketed genuine community events with the strictly commercial Live Nation large event, here:

Finsbury Park set to host summer events big and small

The statement makes interesting claims as to how the money raised is spent and it's worth reading. The spin by Haringey's big PR department is clever and subtle. Their skill in public relations could explain why they are paid so much money:

At first, this is what I thought I'd read:

We have very carefully listened to the views of everyone involved in the Friends of Finsbury Park and we are committed to continuing to work with them and involving them in our planning and reviewing of events in Finsbury Park, as well as how they are managed.

This sounds quite good. However, it actually reads:

We have very carefully listened to the views of everyone involved in the Finsbury Park Events Stakeholder Group and we are committed to continuing to work with them and involving them in our planning and reviewing of events in Finsbury Park, as well as how they are managed.

Spot the difference?

You may think you have now, but you probably haven't yet!

Bet you didn't spot that the Finsbury Park Stakeholder Group is now subtly changed to the Finsbury Park Events Stakeholder Group.

It's unsurprising that any Council Cabinet Member might promise to continue to work with a group set up by the Council, to which the Council can invite or un-invite members; control the Agenda and not publish Minutes.

The rest of the wording also implies that the Stakeholder group is somehow separate and independent of the Council. Oh what a tangled well-spun web we weave, when first we PRactice to deceive!

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's the page on the Council website where the minutes are published. Clive, can you share with us in what way the following has happened:

• un-inviting members
  • controling the agenda
  • not publishing minutes

Hugh, it's true that, following pressure from yours truly, sketchy notes were published in the past, but there are two points to make.

First, they don't come up to the standards of Minutes from regular Council Committees. For example, I'm not aware of Minutes being read back or agreed. Second, I've attended several meetings recently, and its now clear that there will be "Notes", not Minutes, published.

If yours is the power to invite, the corollary is that yours is also the power to no longer invite (I'm not aware that anyone has been uninvited, yet).

Any Agenda is set by the Cabinet Member for the Environment. I will say that Cllr. McNamara is a fair and reasonable Chair and has allowed a good airing of views. At the request of Friends of Finsbury Park, he has at least once allowed items to be added to his Agenda.

The meetings chaired by Stuart are great shock absorbers: the pavement is rough but the body of the heavy vehicle above, continues on smoothly to its destination.

Thanks for filling in the gaps. That makes things clearer. The situation you implied in your original post was somewhat foggy.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service