Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi everyone,

I love markets and I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't a lot of food markets in North London.

Therefore I thought that it's time for our own little market in Harringay! I asked Hugh about it and he's encouraged me to get the market going.

I'm looking for people who make their own honey, bake delicious cakes, cookies and bread, beer brewers, jam makers, sauce- and relish makers, hot food, home made pasta, coffee and chai, home made chocolate, sushi, anything is possible as long as it's home made and of good quality too.

The idea is to do something different from what Green Lanes has to offer right now, food from local producers for the locals. Maybe we could have a few local fruit and veg producers on it too as well as meat, poultry and eggs.

Maybe there are people who grow vegetables and herbs in their garden and would like to sell some of their produce.

I'm thinking of a nice place for everyone to meet their neighbours on Saturdays or Sundays, do some shopping and eat good food too!

If you are interested please send me an email so I can place you on my list.

Details about costs for a table/stall, place and time are tba, but the idea is to keep costs as low as possible.

I was thinking about doing a few trial dates, see how everyone thinks about it and take it from there.

Looking forward to your response and please spread the word too!

Cheers,

Jessica 

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay market

Views: 1872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great idea Jessica, good for you. I think the idea of a Harringay Farmers Market is really appealing and fits in well with the area. For that reason, I think Finsbury Park is a mistake - too big and not really Harringay. Someone suggested Fairlands Park, which would be absolutely ideal, in the middle of the ladder. I'm sure it would get loads of local support.

Best of luck, Hugo.

this is a great idea, have passed this onto friends who may be interested in being a part of it.

and yes,Moka's bread pudding it VERY good.

This is a great idea!

Big Green Bookshop has been running a small monthly local produce market for a while (small because it's in the shop, though in better weather it can spill out to the side of the building). Might be worth chatting with them, and meeting the people who sell stuff there?

oh no i wasn't thinking of hosting it there (North Harringey School Playground would work well I reckon) - more as a small model for this sort of thing

Have you contacted Rob or Shef from Green Lanes Traders Assoc - their details are below
Rob & Shef Harringay Green Lanes Traders Association
e: rob@harringay4shops.com
w: www.harringay4shops.com
w: www.harringayfoodfestival.com

As you may know at Xmas the Green Lanes Strategy group organised the Xmas Fair on Mattison Road in Dec 2011 have a look at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harringay4shops of course the Green Lanes Food Festival 2009 and 2011 also?

We had some funding from OLF round 1 for the Food festival 2011 and Xmas fair 2011
For the Xmas Fair which is more like what you are thinking, a lot of time was spent exploring local sites for the event including the old BDC car park opposite Medlock - Railways Fields, Essex Gardens (cross street between Stanhope and Rutland Gdns)
We ended up with closing Mattison Rd and using South Harringay playground
Local residents were delighted with the event – well we had no complaints as a one off ? some feed back was “can we have this type of thing more often ?
At the Xmas event I tried to rally local artists to sell local arts goods being produced “Hand Made In Harringay”

Other items to consider for your site location would be as well as electricity is
Rent
Toilets (Disabled accessible)
Planning / Licences
Food Hygiene certs
Insurance
Management

Some thing else that we are discussing in the GLSG brief for the “Micro Squares” improvements (entrances to the Gardens and Ladder roads) with the OLF round 2 & TFL funding is a possible power point for street traders - so the “Micro Squares” idea could be long term locations for street trading - this is in its infancy stage but could if successful turn into something more permanent

Something to mull over

Andy GRA

Jessica, if you need a group of people to support this, let us all know.

Great idea, hope you can get it off the ground (!)

You'll need to decide before you start what will be your attitude to the satellite traders you will attract. There will be people just outside, selling knock-off dvds, jumble clothing etc. You may think this is ok, or you may not. Either way, you'll need policy.

Yes! Great idea. The farmers market at Ally Pally is great but would be wonderful to have more variety! 

Just sent an e-mail to Jessica suggesting she could have a word with Tim and Simon, owners of the brilliant Big Green Bookshop in Wood Green. They have a very small market every now and then, that needs putting on the map a bit more, great little place with space outside. And do buy your books from them, always helpful and they need the trade !

Peter

There was a Local Food group on this site but bizarrely it appears to have been deleted which is a shame because it had a lot of info & chatter about this sort of initiative. But then 'Groups' don't really get used much on HOL anymore. 

Pop-up shops on the rise. (Any answer Admin as to why the Local Food group has been deleted?)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service