Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Dear Readers

I would like to share with you my latest observation from daily practice with Google Chrome browser.

Just yesterday one of my long-term client has lost a few months of internet and web activities with his bookmarks in Google Chrome in very very easy way with no chance to recover. This happened in a fraction of seconds with no chance for a decision or moment of consideration. If you are saving your bookmarks on daily bases please remember to copy your bookmarks in save location apart from your computer because they are very fragile and very easy to loose it.

I have nothing more against this particular browser and personally think that future belongs to this browser in next few years but please please bear in mind that not every part of this product makes your life wonderful. A few months ago I started a discussion about backing up your data with an external hard drive but this time I would like to warn about this very imperfect feature of this browser.

Please copy and back up your Google Chrome bookmarks in save location as our job and huge activities can be located in this fragile location. This can mess with your job and your hobby for long time.

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Such a thing happened to me a while ago with firefox so I started using xmarks to back up my bookmarks. It will automatically back up your history and bookmarks when you want it to, whether that is on demand, when you close the browser or automatically in the background.

It is a free program with multi browser compatibility so can be used with chrome, FF, explorer and safari. The advantage of is that even if you need to do a hard re-installation you can just open the browser, log in and synchronise your archive back into your new browser.

download for free @ http://www.xmarks.com/

On the subject of browsers, I've got a suggestion for those MacUsers out there like me, who are still on PowerPC-d Macs.

If they're using Apple's browser Safari they're likely to be suffering poor performance. Apple has not updated Safari for PPC for some time. After finally losing patience, I switched to SeaMonkey, in which I type this now.

Anyone in this situation should consider SeaMonkey which after a few days' impressions, seems to me to be largely if not wholly superior to Safari for PPC. A collection of bookmarks in Safari now need to be moved to SeaMonkey.

SeaMonkey is a cousin of Firefox. It's also available for Linux and Windows.

I'll second this suggestion, I've been using xmarks for years, you can sit back and relax once it's set up. I have the same bookmarks on all browsers on all my computers. As a web developer having to test sites in all browsers on all platforms it's invaluable!

If your laptop is stolen, just buy new one with the insurance money, install xmarks and you'll have all your bookmarks as before but on a nice fast new machine! I talk from experience!

My motto... don't store anything on your computer if you can help it, keep it on the cloud!

xmarks (for your bookmarks), Dropbox (for your files) and Evernote (for your notes etc.) Simple.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service