Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Although the name seems familiar, I only just recently stumbled across Jane's Walks in London and have posted an event listing  a nearby walk this coming Saturday. Started in Toronto in 2007, about two months before HoL launched, Jane's Walk is set up with very much the same ethos as Harringay Online and offers limited support to help communities plan their own walks. That set me wondering, would it be of interest to think about a Harringay or N4/N8/N15 walk?

The Jane's Walk website offers a brief outline of the group's thinking:

Jane’s Walk celebrates the ideas and legacy of urbanist Jane Jacobs by getting people out exploring their neighbourhoods and meeting their neighbours. Free walking tours held on the first weekend of May each year are led by locals who want to create a space for residents to talk about what matters to them in the places they live and work......The walks helps knit people together into a strong and resourceful community, instilling belonging and encouraging civic leadership.

The concept may also appeal to those who favour giving less priority to the car in urban spaces:

Jane’s Walk honours the legacy and ideas of urban activist and writer Jane Jacobs who championed the interests of local residents and pedestrians over a car-centered approach to planning.

The organisation wants to make it as easy as possible for communities to organise their own walks and so has even made a simple planning kit available. I'm attaching a copy of the key pdf.

Would any folk in Harringay be interested in kicking around planning a local walk? I don't care if it has anything to do with HoL or not, but would be happy to be involved. If someone fancies picking up the ball and running.....

Any road up......I thought I'd pitch the idea out there.

Link: janeswalk.net

Views: 350

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's certainly scope for it. Probably have to be a little bit wider than Harringay, but it could work. 

I love this idea especially as I am very pro pedestrian rights. But we're new to this area and I am not sure I would have much relevant experience or local knowledge to plan a walk. Would be happy to collaborate though.

Kid friendliness would be great if possible.

Liz x

Well I reckon that How Harringay Happened book would be a useful starter. 

Or dare I say our much more comprehensive and well researched timeline, history pages and Wikipedia pages.

I make you right sir! 

Hello Hugh, Reggie, Nick and Lizzy,

I'm David Randall, with Liane Hartley we are City Organisers for Jane's Walk in London.  I saw your posts and want to welcome you warmly if you fancy organising a walk this weekend - it's not too late if you do.  You can post a walk directly on the JW site here http://www.janeswalk.net/pages/new_tours - the user name and password are given right there on the page.  If you would like to call me for a chat, please do, my number is 07790 511 256.  In any case, why not come to the get together on Sunday at the Hackney Empire? (6.00pm).   It would be lovely to meet you..  David

Thanks for stopping by David. Any more info on the Sunday get-together?

It's a pleasure.  Yes all the details are here, http://bit.ly/IBTmIK

and free bookings can be made here, http://janeswalkhackneyempire.eventbrite.co.uk/

Hope to see or talk to you soon.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service