Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Knowing "my one weakness", one of my work colleagues dangled under my nose recently the thought of creating a new timeline for Harringay.

Unable to resist, I did just that. Please have a look. Any use?

Please let me know what else you think we should add.

Views: 969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, that's a bit of a limitation. With about 15 mins, or so, you could use the list view and the free Skitch to screen capture three or four entries at a time, paste them on to a word documents and print out. Or if you have more time, you could do the same using the flipbook view.
Mmm think its bit above my ability but I really enjoyed it - I have been looking through it ever since I found it

Well done !!
Well done Hugh, splendid stuff!!

I noticed you have railways included .. but not yet trams..

H a r r i n g a y Tram Services

24 December 1887 Steam tram service commenced between Wood Green (Town Hall) and Manor House - connecting to the steam tram service Finsbury Park - Edmonton service via Tottenham already in service.

1891 Financial difficulties of North London Tramways. Withdrawal of steam trams and replacement by horse trams.

22 July 1904 Introduction of an electric tram service and replacement of horse tram services by the Metropolitan Electric Tramways between Finsbury Park and Wood Green.

http://www.harringayonline.com/photo/electric-tram-in-1904?context=...

1 August 1912 The M.E.T Tramway concludes 'through running' agreement with The London County Council for a joint service over L.C.C. tracks Euston Road - Finsbury Park - Harringay - Enfield.

1912/1913 Numbering of tram routes introduced:

Those serving Green Lanes.

21** North Finchley - Holborn (Grays Inn Road)

29** Enfield - Tottenham Court Road (Euston Road)

31 Palmers Green - Tottenham Court Road (Euston Road)

**Not to be confused with L.G.O.C. bus routes 21 & 29 introduced in 1911 which also served Green Lanes.

1 July 1933 Creation of London Transport:

Trams serving Green Lanes:

21 North Finchley - Wood Green - Finsbury Park - Nag's Head - King's Cross - Holborn

29 Enfield - Wood Green - Finsbury Park - Nag's Head - Camden Town - Tottenham Court Road

41 Winchmore Hill - Wood Green - Manor House - Newington Green - Moorgate

51 Muswell Hill - Aldersgate via Newington Green & Angel

71 Aldersgate - Angel - Nag's Head - Finsbury Park - Wood Green - Tottenham - Stamford Hill - Hackney - Mile End - Aldgate

8 May 1938 Replacement of last trams (29 & 41) along Green Lanes by trolleybuses.

5 July 1952 Replacement of last trams in North London. Route 33 Manor House - West Norwood withdrawn.

http://www.harringayonline.com/photo/green-lanes-at-clissold-park-1...

When did the trollybuses stop on green lanes?
@Lisa

Early in the morning of 8 November 1961 - nearly 50 years ago:

My blog on HOL is deleted  - but a copy here: http://www.isarsteve.de/?p=845

Great, thanks for the info Steve. Will have a look at it as soon as I get a moment and add the highlights.

[For the record, in case folks are wondering, we didn't delete Stephen's blog. ;o) ]

@Hugh No you didn't.. that's why I wrote IS and not WAS...

BTW.. after checking my comment above I noticed I made the same mistake again..

The last day of route 33 was 5th April 1952 - the 5th July 1952 was the last day of London's first generation trams.

The picture for the 'Coliseum Cinema Fire' seems to have been hi-jacked by a spam Ad - or, at least, an Ad comes up instead of a picture when I look at it.
That's wierd. Thanks for letting me know John. It looks okay when I look at it, but makes me wonder if Dipty have a random thing going on for 'non-premium versions' (i.e. unpaid). What happens if you try this direct link?

That worked but, now that I have looked into this more, it's even more weird.

Your link took me to the 3rd June 2001, which shows a photo of the site after demolition (which I can see), and with these words :

"Coliseum Cinema Fire.

The 2001 fire led to the rapid demolition of this protected building. The photo shows the site shortly after demolition.

Photo by Rob Chau."

But if you go back ten photos (between 'Coliseum Cinema closes' and 'Naughty Harringay'), you get to the photo I am still having problems with, which has the following description :

"Coliseum Cinema Fire.

3 June 1961.

A fire led to the later demolition of this protected building. Picture from Rob Chau shows the fire after the building has been demolished."

Is there something I'm missing...?

A prize to that man. This is the gremlin entry. I've spoken with the gremlins and told them it's not funny and have deleted that stray-no-idea-where-it-came-from entry. It looks like the Coliseum closed and fire entries got entangled somehow!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service