Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yesterday evening the police were at and in the New River at the Bridge where it crosses into the New River Village, adjacent to Tottenham Lane. I got into a conversation with walker along the new river today. He said his friend was fishing and had spotted an Uzi machine gun in the water. He wasn't sure if it was a toy or real so he lowered a magnet in... ...it was metal so he called the police. On the stretch to the back of Wightman Road today there was a fairly strong stench of sewage at the footbridge and a significant brown sludge building up at the weed trap. This sludge buildup was repeated along the river up to the exit on Hampden Road.

Tags for Forum Posts: new, river

Views: 1044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As far south as Hackney the New River is part of London's water supply and it is not connected with the sewage system. Nor is it affected by permits for industrial discharge. It is susceptible to algal blooms and to the content of fly-tipping. But if your enquiry was recent, Tim, the information might refer to reports from a study of road run-off. The New River wouldn't have been tested as part of this investigation but its possible that Thames Water are noting increased concentrations of metal pollutants in invertebrates.

https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Road-run-off-pollution-killing-...

John, the application for the licence was a couple of weeks ago . It seems that the signal crayfish and the other invasive versions aren't too bothered by whatever finds its way into the brook. The chap who called me suggested all sorts of unwelcome creatures enjoyed the waters .

Hopefully this doesn't sound ignorant but I'm really surprised that an aquaduct supplying drinking water is open to the public like the New River is. I know it's going for treatment but how on earth do they filter out all the utter garbage (literally). Am I misunderstanding something?!

On the smell point, I've been noticing a horrific stench at night only, while I'm asleep and I wonder if it's the New River as I live only around 100m from the Wightman Road exit. Maybe a bit farfetched but it does smell like sewage, and the wind direction might determine whether it reaches my house (my bedroom is located closest to it). Saying that, I've never smelled anything while walking the path, so maybe it's a pipe or a dead mouse under the floorboards...!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service