Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's been really cold the last few evenings. However, because a) I'm trying to save the planet here, people! and b) I'm really mean, I've decreed that we shan't be putting the central heating on until November. For now, we're wearing a extra layer and throwing a log on the fire in the evening - smokeless, natch, and Gapsealing q.v. everywhere But I digress.
To compensate for no central heating, I promised my wife I'd get her a hot water bottle. ( I know, generous to a fault) I had to trawl around 5 shops in the West End yesterday to find one: two Boot's, M&S and Superdrug had sold out.
So I wonder if lots of others are buying hot water bottles to save on heating bills?

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

brrrrr, yes... i havnt got round to getting me some gap seal yet.

are you still applying it ziggy? sounds like its a big job!

at this moment in time, i am perched on the floor in the front living room and my feet are turning to ice even through the rug!
rahman said:
brrrrr, yes... i havnt got round to getting me some gap seal yet.
are you still applying it ziggy? sounds like its a big job!

Nearly finished. it's not hard, just a bit time consuming. You need some thick, warm socks my friend!
I've been wondering if using a few oil heaters dotted about the house might be more economical than switching on the gas central heating. Oil heaters switch into the electrics and my experience of them at work is they throw out an incredible amount of heat.

matt said:
I've been wondering if using a few oil heaters dotted about the house might be more economical than switching on the gas central heating. Oil heaters switch into the electrics and my experience of them at work is they throw out an incredible amount of heat.

I get headaches from those for some odd reason. Kinda like fan heaters! they give off a weird heat!
Careful, they are dangerous: overheat. They also use a lot of juice.
I bought a pink fluffy (girlie) baby mini hot water bottle in Superdrug (I think?)a few weeks back... cost about a fiver and has the Breast cancer symbol on it -proceeds to Breast cancer... I LOVE it, take it to bed on cold nights, or use on bad back days - just the right size ( size does matter sometimes.....)
Yes I have one of these and been using it evenings instead of starting the central heating - been fine so far.... big heat, turn on and off quick when gets too hot... doesn't give me headaches thank goodness
SB

rahman said:
matt said:

I get headaches from those for some odd reason. Kinda like fan heaters! they give off a weird heat!
My first couple of years in London I lived in this huge but really grotty flat above shop in Walthamstow. Didn't have central heating,so we bought a few electric radiators. They didn't really work for me; didn't seem to spread the heat around very much. Maybe that's because the insulation was so crap!

Sapphireblue said:
Yes I have one of these and been using it evenings instead of starting the central heating - been fine so far.... big heat, turn on and off quick when gets too hot... doesn't give me headaches thank goodness
SB

rahman said:
matt said:

As a northerner living on the ladder i like to burn lots of logs on my fire.Proust had his madelaines,i have my logs.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service