Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Isn't it a shame that the funds which were set aside for improvements to pavements are being used to rip up the flags and replace with tarmac to match those in N4?

Tags for Forum Posts: pavements, wightman road

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought it was the old Tottenham bits that had paving whilst the old Hornsey pavements were more rough & ready.
Well this is interesting.

Firstly, parking suspension signs have gone up along Wightman Road, eg on one particular stretch from 21-31 August, to permit improvement of the pavement. But no work was done and the signs have now been removed. Now another length has been suspended from 3rd September for about 10 days. Again. no work has yet been done. Is the stupid and unnecessary suspension of parking aimed at getting us used to parking elsewhere?

Secondly, parking on Wightmman Road is half on the pavement, half on the road. After they have replaced the paving stones with tarmac, are the Council going to say "Sorry you can't park on Wightman Road any more because the tarmac pavements won't take the weight. But look on the bright side, it'll be easier to run the increased traffic along Wightman when there are no parked cars" ?

Paranoid ? Moi ? :-)
I think the widespread use of tarmac to replace paving stones is a disgrace - I suspect Haringey are not doing this in Crouch End or Muswell Hill.
No... those posh people over there deserve better...
OK, more constructively, this needs to go in the charter. We want the same pavements that they get in Highgate. Seems VERY fair to me.
Oh, it's Wightman you're talking about.

Paul, have you asked the Council what's happening and to explain the logic for their action?
sydney road's pavements have just been completely relaid in beautiful tarmac
No they haven't - we've still got old we'd strewn ugly tarmac.
apologies it is raleigh road - and I assume you interpreted my using of the phrase beautiful as being sarcastic!!!
You went on BBC London Live complaining about the state of our roads and became a tool for the tarmac lobby...
On 31 May I emailed Cllr Brian Haley with a comprehensive enquiry (among other Wightman-related complaints) as to "why the pavement in the N4 postal code area of Wightman Road is not going to be re-laid, while the N8 section of the road is about to have this work done."
Part of my argument was that anyone who uses Wightman Rd can easily see that the southern N4 section, with broken up tarmac footway over hilly terrain, is in much worse condition than the straight, level, flagged footway on either side of the northern N8 section between Effingham and Hampden junctions.
I pointed out that, in response to the 'On the Road to Improvement' of August-September 2007, I had personally submitted 25 responses from my neighbours on the Mattison - Warham Road stretch of W.R., demanding pavement improvement as one of their three priorities.
I made comparisons with the excellent pavement improvements made elsewhere in the WEST of the Borough. I reminded Cllr Haley of the Council Tax 'take' from the Band G, F & E houses, and multiplicity of conversions on our road.

At the Area Assembly of 3rd June, Cllr Haley's response to my question and email was the usual trademark brush-off reply. Not down to me, mate, it's the Borough Road Engineer wot done it (or words to that effect).

16th July, email from Cheryl Carnegie of Frontline reads in part:

"The planned footway maintenance programme 2008/09 approved by the Council's cabinet includes Wightman Road N8 (from Hampden Road to Effingham Road).

"Condition surveys of the Borough's highway network ranked this section of pavement 58 out of 138 roads surveyed in order of priority for planned reconstruction during the current financial year. Given that the available budgets are not sufficient to treat all the pavements in the entire network simultaneously, highly ranked sections of pavements have to be treated on a 'worst first' basis. Unfortunately, the N4 sections of Wightman Road pavements were not recommended for re-paving during the current financial year." [YES, CHERYL, I BLOODY WELL KNOW THAT. BUT W H Y??? AND WHY DO NEITHER YOU NOR BRIAN HALEY MENTION THAT N8 IS GOING TO LOSE ITS PRESENT PROPER PAVEMENT AND GET A TARMAC JOB IN ITS PLACE???]

The rest of her reply to this query adds up to no more than 'better luck next time'.

As you might expect, Hugh, logic doesn't enter into it.
Phewph! And, Grrr! What a whole bundle-load of frustrations. I'm a bit speechless.

Id pavement improvemenst have been made elsewhere, why have they been done if they were in better condition and why paved and not tarmaced. Theer will be an engineers report that is avaialable via FOI if you've the energy.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service