Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Many of you will know that I live on the other side of the constituency (I dare not say the word 'Tottenham' for fear of causing World War Three!). I often see PSOs riding their bikes (rarely 'real' policeman). Contacting the Neighbourhood Police Team for "non emergencies" can be frustrating. For a start, their phone number keeps changing; I think they're on their third in just three years! Seldom, if ever, is there a 'live' contact at the other end of the phone. I am greeted with an answering machine message when reporting children slashing car tyres (call 999 to report such a problem and you're told that it's not an emergency and you're wasting police time). Eventually, if I'm lucky, I get a call back about a week later. The kids have gone and the damaged been carried out. I think the concept of neighbourhood policing (NP) is a good one, but they have to be more responsive to local people and 'strike whilst the iron's hot' in relation to non-urgent crimes.

What's your view of NP in your area?

Thanks,

Justin

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the public need to be realistic about the resources the police have available to them and understand their priorities.

children slashing tires = an anti social behaviour problem that parents, schools, the Council's ASB, community and social services teams need to be tackling alongside the police.

Though admittedly, a faster reaction time to non urgent crimes (not necessarily immediate) would be welcomed.
Although I've not had reason to call on the police personally, my impression is that they're active, involved and responsive. Any views from people who actually used teir services?
I would rather get my tyres slashed than encourage the police to drive any faster and any more frequently down green lanes. I can't find any references to the police van that mounted the pavement in Seven Sisters Rd a couple of years ago and killed a pedestrian, but I hope the driver was not chasing tyre slashers.
I was disappointed not to receive a response to two emails to the Safer Neighbourhood Team recently directly concerning my girlfriend's safety. I am realistic about the demands on them and took time to emphasise this, but I just wanted to know what options were available (if any).

They have been very helpful on another issue in the past so I was surprised that I didn't get a response.
Sorry to hear that Fippo. I wasn`t aware. Contact me on glyn.kelly@met.police.uk
Of course it would be great if the police could respond fast enough to stop a crime in progress; but realistically that's unlikely to happen.
Maybe you could try to take a picture or even video of the incident, which can be used as evidence later?
I have called the SNT several times, and I have found them to be very helpful. Admittedly they do not come running when you need them to if anything is kicking off there and then, but as a few people have pointed out, they are pretty stretched.

Taking photos / video has to be a good idea though, at least you will have some kind of evidence to back you up when they do get in touch with you. I'm sure Glyn will correct me if I am wrong here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service