Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In case anyone here uses the Parkland Walk, be aware of this.

Parkland walk attacks

A 40-year-old Highgate woman has warned against women using the Parkland Walk, after becoming the sixth victim of a violent robbery there in the past five weeks.

The victim, who did not want to be named, decided to speak out today (July 4) in the hope that it may prevent another woman from being attacked.

She was walking along the Parkland Walk near Crouch Hill bridge at 1.45pm on Thursday June 26, when she and a friend were robbed.

She told the Ham&High: “This man is threatening, menacing, violent and determined to get what he wants. I was walking with a friend, in broad daylight, but he was not deterred.

“If he attacks you there is no one to help you because it’s secluded. I know the police are investigating, but I think women in our community need to be aware that there is a violent robber at large.”

The woman said that since her attack she had returned to the Parkland Walk and was alarmed to see up to 15 women, walking with pushchairs and handbags - who did not seem to know about the recent spate of attacks.

The first incident is alleged to have happened on Saturday, May 31 at 3.40pm, when two women in their 60s were attacked. The pensioners were walking along the bridge over Stapleton Hall Road, Stroud Green, when they were grabbed and pulled into the undergrowth.

The man stole the women’s purses and cash and caused minor injuries to both victims in the incident. He reportedly fled in the direction of Finsbury Park.

Seven days later, on Saturday June 7 at 7.45pm, two females in their 40s were walking between Mount Pleasant Crescent and Ferme Park Road in Stroud Green, when they were grabbed by a male, who demanded money.

He struggled with one of the victims, causing her to fall and hit her head. It is believed he also fled in the direction of Finsbury Park.

Police believe the attacks could be linked and have renewed an appeal for the public’s help in catching the suspect.

Sgt Skinner, from The Q Cars in Haringey said: “There is no reason for people to be overly alarmed, but we are asking for people to be alert when using the Parkland Walk. Anyone with any information or who may have seen a suspicious character is asked to contact the Robbery Squad crimestoppers anonymously.

“In the mean time residents should be reassured to know we are doing everything we can to find the male responsible for these incidents. Police officers have been conducting daily patrols, high visibility and plain clothes on foot and on bikes, with assistance from the Air Support Unit and The Parks Constabulary

The suspect has been described as possibly being “bare-chested and holding a top”.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Det Sgt Sean Carre-Brown from Haringey Robbery Squad on 0208-345 0855 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Tags for Forum Posts: parkland walk

Views: 1037

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to walk down this every day as my old flat backed on to it. I still love to go back there, and would really recommend it as the quickest way to get to Highgate woods from here. So I was very sorry to read this. Let's hope the catch the *** soon.
I use this a little to, as always if you're going that way, carry minimal valuables and cash so the **** will be disappointed with his days work.

Lets hope he gets a kick in the goolies soon too, just as the mugger on the Ladder got.
What is needed is for MORE people to use it. Not less!
Completely agree, just as we had this discussion about the Passage a few months ago
The Police Safer Neighbourhood Team have made the following statement, so hopefully things on the Walk are back to normal. It seems a considerable effort went into this.

David Warren
Chair, Friends of Parkland Walk

Police responded to a series of robberies in the Parkland Walk area by enlisting the assistance of the Air Support Unit and Parks Constabulary and increasing both high visibility and undercover patrols. On Monday 7th July a man was detained and has been charged and remanded in custody.

We recognise that incidents like this have an impact on local communities but we would like to reassure residents that this area is safe.

We would like to reassure residents that robbery in Haringey continues to fall. This year to date there has been a 39% decrease in offences, however we are not complacent, we continue to treat robbery as a serious priority crime and remain determined to apprehend offenders and bring them to justice.

If you would like to do more to feel confident and learn about personal safety, Harringay Safer Neighbourhoods Team are running personal safety classes, please contact them on 07920 233 786 for more information

John McGrath
Police Sergeant
Crouch End SNT - Haringey
Its not much consolation at present but the tract of land on the Islington side of the parkland walk stretching from Crouch Hill Bridge to Crouch End Hill Bridge is where Islington are building a new building for Ashmount school AND creating a new community Park. That should make that part of the Parkland Walk a lot safer. Have a look at this URL

http://www.ashmountprimary.webeden.co.uk/#/schoolmove/4528770034

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service