Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For those of you who are interested, i have had a very efficient result from the council concerning my complaint made about the parties held at the greek church on wightman road.
The council has confirmed that the church and its adjoining building does NOT hold any license and especially not a premises licence, therefore is not allowed to serve alcohol and make late night music racket...
The noise control officer visited the site today and gave them a warning and have already established that they will have to stop the music at 10-10.30 pm at the latest and will have to keep their windows and doors closed to minimise disruption.
The council also has now a direct phone number to contact the vicarage and if and when you make a noise complaint, they will contact them DIRECTLY.

Well, i am pretty pleased with that and impressed by the council efficiency! Let's see how things go. I urge everybody to contact the noise control team at these numbers whenever you feel they are not respecting those new rules:
Contact telephone numbers to report a noise.
Office Hours
Monday - Friday: 8.45am - 5pm

Tel: 020 8489 1284

Outside Office Hours
Weekdays

Monday - Friday: 5pm - 8.45am

Weekends

Friday 5pm to Monday 8.45am

Tel: 020 8348 3148.

sophie.

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, noise, noise pollution

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done Sophie!
I am gobsmacked. Sure I don't live as close to it as you do but the parties are very loud and they're pretty much every Saturday night.... I just "assumed" they were allowed to!

WELL DONE!
Sophie,
You bear the name of (Hagia) Sophia, Greek muse and saint of wisdom. Sometimes in these matters wisdom is the better part of valour. All I'm saying is don't let your Nike (victory) overcome your sense of sophia - and perhaps have a second think about the title you've given this discussion.

I agree that any of us, if we lived on Lausanne, Frobisher etc, might well be up in arms and contacting the Council's 'Noise dept.' If push comes to shove, that's what they're there for and I'm glad you've got a good result so soon.

Sometimes a quiet word in the ear of, say, the Caretaker or the Parish Priest may be the best initial approach. Or a community member of some influence. In the case of St John's Church hall, Gina Adamou in Effingham comes to mind, or Dasos Maliotis - not in their roles of councillor or neighbourhood manager but as two very simpatico/a individuals with a natural entree to the Greek Cypriot community. Of course in their official roles they also lead the Area Assembly meetings once or twice a year in St John's hall. (The Council pays the hiring charge.)

St John's Church and hall has for several decades been at the heart of Harringay's Greek (Cypriot) community. More recently with a demographic shift towards Bounds/Palmers Green, Winchmore Hill etc, families still come back to worship here, with marriages, christenings, Easter & Christmas - as well as some attempt to transmit language and culture to children of the third or fourth generation. It's still an important thread in Harringay's rich weave. We need that to continue, particularly on the desert that is Wightman Road.

Of course the hall is let on a commercial basis and needs to be regulated and made fit for purpose. Nobody would claim that young people of the third generation in any ethnic community are going to conduct their parties or discos with the sensitivity of an earlier time. Even more so where the hall is let out to the wider community.

Just let's not greet this result with an exclamation mark as some sort of decision against "the Greek Church (or even church)".
In hindsight so as not have flared things up the wrong way the title of discussion should have been: result on the wightman road hall discos!

It's funny you're mentioning my name because as a matter of fact i am a practising orthodox and the church has been a positive reason for me to move here.

I don't think this is got anything to do with religion or integration. Lausanne road is a great road and a real mix of people but let's face it we can't all party regularly without thinking about our neighbours' lives.

About talking first, well, I have been to the hall on 3 occasions to try talk to someone , including one particularly noisy evening held by a football club and have systematically been badly received.

Hence why i did my own little enquiry. The parties will still happen but with the knowledge that we are all part of larger community.

No hard feelings, and you're right i will also talk to the priest someday as i have nothing against the church itself.
I do agree with Eddie though Sophie...Knowing the Church as I do they`re very community orientated and a quiet word would probably have had the same effect.
But well done
Thanks Sophie and GK/OD. I appreciate your response as well as the intolerable problem such badly regulated behaviour caused in the first place.
Yes, can we please change the title of this discussion? I thought there was going to be something nice written about the church when I first clicked on the topic yesterday and was quite dismayed by what I read.
Just changed the title's discussion so no confusion i hope now.
Ok, Eddie & Glynn, I take your point, but Sophie had tried. Seems to me she was more than reasonable. Have to admit if I was getting no response after a couple of times of asking, I'd have done the same a Sophie. Let's not forget, the people using the hall were acting with no thought for people who live nearby.
Hi Sophie,
Just wanted to say well done, it seems like you have handled this situation very well, and with a positive outcome.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service