Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

So, the Petition's been handed in, but the price was this conversation

A converstaion between Hugh and Karen Galey, Head of Economic Regeneration:

KG: So what's this petition about?

H: It's about the bit in the plan that talks about the possibility of closing Wood Green High Street to everything but buses.

KG: NO! That's not in the plan.

H: I think you'll find it is.

KG: NO. It's not.

H: But I read it in there.

KG: No, it's not there.

H: But I've had an excerpt from page 73 on my website for the past week........

KG: It's an option for consideration.

H: Oh. Okay so it's in there as an option.

KG: No, it's not.

H: Okay. Is the possibility of closing Wood Green High Street to everything but buses is in the Wood Green SPD as an option for consideration?

KG: Yes.

I'm sure you all know how I felt.

Doesn't make you optimistic does it.

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, consultation, traffic, wood green spd

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You rattled her Hugh.

You, we, weren't meant to know. The public don't read such documents. The first the public know is when the kango hits the tarmac.

Interesting outcome. I think the mayor's office needs a copy. And one to the 'consultants'.
I don't know what to say really, if she hasn't taken the time to read the document, will she take the time to even look at the petition? :-/.
tsk, you did it all wrong, that's why Hugh.

you should've initiated the conversation by drop-kicking her and followed up by saying something along the lines of "now listen here, lady...".

you'da been taken more seriously.

ps. i'm sorry it didn't go too well. it's horrible when you try so hard and it seems all your effort's gone to waste. typical harrinagay though...
Thanks for your kind words, but I think handing in a response to a consultation is just.... well......handing in a response to a consultation. I handed it in. So to that extent things went just fine.

The conversation was just a wonderful amusant little slice if bureacraciana that I thought might crack the odd smile.
Hugh, maybe we need to circulate all Cabinet Members and all councillors of both parties with complete copies of the petition and its resultant signatures - together with your kafkaesque 'conversation' with Karen Galey. George Meehan, Lorna Reith and Jeanette Gegde at least should welcome our approach to consultation and pursue it within relevant departments.
The local councillors are on the agenda. Did you have in mind more broadly than that?
Sorry Hugh, I didn't see your question till now.
No, I suppose my blanket coverage suggestion was a bit OTT. But Deputy Leader Lorna Reith and Jeannette Gegde (geez, I hope that spelling's correct or someone will be after my spellcheckin' scalp!) who are big on consultation and have a cabinet mandate for pushing it with their colleagues' departments should be made aware of the strength of our consultation. Also, I know George Meehan is sincere and dogged in anything he pursues, and he knows what wins and loses elections.

Addendum:

Said our Harringay Petitioner, "Oh really!
So you are the famed Karen Galey?
Till you've read your own Plan
I'd be as well off with yer man,
The uncommunicative Councillor Hailey."
Da-Da! Luvthelimmerick!

I copied Meehan, but not the other two.
I read your email and attachment just minutes after posting the above. Excellent. This certainly gives us something to talk about in Monday's WRN4RA meeting.
One little quibbling: I wouldn't myself downgrade most of the paper signatures as 'standard doorstepping'. Certainly for most of my 72 my seven hours with repeat visits gave us plenty of time for information-digestion and discussion. I'm still convinced this traditional procedure compares favourably in quality with online voting - and can be more productive in quantity!!
I realised when writing that Eddie, that it would seem dismissive of your efforts and meant to send you a note to explain.

I personally hold great value by what you and Sophie did in door-stepping. I think it was a hugely valuable contribution. But, well, let me explain to you by message...................
A conversation between Hugh and Karen Galey, sometime in the future:

Hugh: Hi Karen, just wondering how our petition has been received?

Karen: You are?

Hugh: Hugh

Karen: Hugh who?

Hugh: Hugh who sent you in a petition about the possibility of closing Wood Green High street to everything but buses, its in the Woodgreen SPD..

Karen: (eyes glazing over) oh, er thing is I'm not involved with any of that anymore, I've been promoted to Head of Communications. You may have to re-send your petition thingy to the new Head of Economic Regeneration. Must dash..

Hugh: Whos the new Head of Economic Regeneration?

Karen: Sir Ronald Macdonald
Which reminds me of the George BUsh "Who's Hu" spoof. See Sound File player - main screen bottom left.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service