Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ever wanted to get rid of old paint pots or insecticides or other hazardous wastes in Harringey? Well, here's the procedure (nicked straight from the Franz Kafka guide to Encouraging Good Citizenship):

1. No recycling centres or rubbish dumps will accept these products. So you have only one choice, as follows.

2. Phone City of London household waste. They don't answer the phone so you have to leave a message with your phone number and they'll call you back.

3. City of London call you back at some point and tell you they've got to send a form for you to fill out. They won't email the form, only post or fax.

4. You have to package up all your paints and insecticides etc in closed boxes. So you have to go and spend money buying boxes with lids on.

5. Each box has to be precisely labelled saying exactly what's in it - how many containers, what's in them, size of container.

6. You can only dispose of 50 litres in one go. If you have more, you have to fill out two forms and arrange for two collections, which may not happen at the same time.

7. You send your form off and then wait 3-4 weeks. But make sure you don't leave your boxes outside in the meantime - they'll inevitably get wet and collapse/break.

8. A chemist from the City of London will call you out of the blue to say he's coming round the following day, whether it's convenient or not. If not, tough luck.

9. Put all your boxes in your front garden and await collection.

Time from start to finish - at least 1 month. Work involved - lots. Hassle - lots.

OR ALTERNATIVELY

- drive around late at night and dump in darkly lit alleyway. Easy and over in 10 minutes.

And we wonder why people fly tip?

Tags for Forum Posts: hazardous, insecticide, paint, rubbish, waste

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a proper paint disposal facility at the Summers Lane recycling depot in Barnet, if you've got a car. In fact they take quite a lot of other things there such as furniture (which at Haringey goes into the rubbish skip.)
I rang Islington who said they could take paint a their central depot, but when I got there I was just told to throw it in the rubbish skip - I pointed out that I was not allowed to do that at home, so why were they?
what about empty paint pots we were sent away with a flee in our ear when we tried to get rid of a few of these the other day?
Do you mean at Summers Lane? Thanks to Maddy's suggestion, I was hoping to take all our paint pots up - empty and still with paint. Or do you mean Islington?
There's a big bell-shaped container at Summers Lane where you can put all your paint pots, full or empty.
"Love your borough" Yeah right..

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service