Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am posting in the middle of the night a copy of an email we have just sent to the council regarding the recurring late night noise/music coming from the greek church at the top of lausanne/frosbisher road.
Those of you who live near it should agree with this email as the church hall is creating a lot of disturbance ( 1 metre away from housing!)

I intend to follow this matter closely and question their licensing. Anybody come across the same problem? Feel free to write in or report to noise control online or by tel: 020 8348 3148.

Good night!
sophie.

licensing@haringey.gov.uk
cc: mail@davidlammy.co.uk

Dear Sir/Madam

My wife and I live in Hornsey, at number 8 Lausanne Road, N8 0HN and nearly every Saturday and some Sundays have been kept up at night up until 11:00pm and often (as tonight) until later by very loud music coming from party discos held at the hall of St John the Baptists Greek Orthodox Church N8 0LY. We have regularily gone over politely ask them to put the music down and the various parties have all said that they were entitled to play music until Late and invariable carried on.

If they do have a license, how is it possible so close to residential housing. We are not even the closest people to them and with double glazing we hear the music, shouting and sometimes fireworks clearly.

We have regularily observed the music played with their doors and windows open, which obviously does not help with the noise. I think they do this as they do not have air conditioning. Should they not follow the same rules as nightclubs and have some level of sound insulation and ventilation so and should they can close their doors and windows (which are not even double glazed) at least.

We are not the only people to be disturbed and I would be happy to collect signatures if this is required in order to contest the renewal/terms of their licence if they have one.

I have taken the liberty of copying our local MP for his information and am also posting this email and your response onto the local website for residents information. www.harringayonline.com/

yours sincerely,

Dominic Burton

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear them too but I think you're pushing poo uphill. That church gets away with a lot of stuff and I don't know why.....
well, maybe i am too optimistic but you never know... Actually had a call late last night from the noise control officer ( a nice man called Mr O' Kassey) who has given me his mobile and will visit the church this week to have a word with them. It's a first step!
The the church hall is hired for weddings, birthday celebrations etc, so inevitable late night music will occur. However it's not unreasonable to expect proceedings to wind up after 11pm, and those who are responsible for hiring should ensure that this is the case. I've attended numerous functions in church halls in residential areas and bang on 11pm, lights go on and we have to stop the music, clear up, and out of the premises. If you've not done so already, maybe have a polite word with the caretaker of the hall. With regards to stopping it altogether, it's not likely as it is available for the whole community and it would be a shame for a space like that not be used. That said, continual noise into the early hours (past 11pm) on a regular basis is a case to have its license revoked.
Yesterday the disco kept on going till 12h15 and started in the afternoon. If you live a few houses away, believe me, it is very intrusive! I dont intend to try stop parties altogether, as u say, it is for a community. But there is some money involved and whoever is responsible could be considerate and use the proceedings to install some air-conditioning ( so windows can be shut) or some sort of sound proofing.

sorry to bore all the people who have no idea what is happening on this end of the ladder!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service