Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tell me I'm bonkers, do, but I just sent the following message to our local councillors and Richard Jones, the manager of the Arena Shopping Park:

Dear Richard & Harringay & St Ann's Councillors,

28th October 1958 was the date of the last event ever at the Harringay Arena. I was wondering if between us all and the Arena traders, we might find the space and the money for an excuse to commemorate the fascinating past of the old Arena and have a bit of a bash in the Arena car park – perhaps the residents of Harringay deserve a little payback for, shall we say, the traffic hiccups of the past 6 months or so.

- good marketing & PR opportunity for the Arena stores, not to mention the Council.

And, Nilgun, if the timing's right we might also think about inserting a theme of nodding to the past but looking with a vision to the future of Harringay.

Please let me know if I'm likely to be able to kindle any flame of interest in helping us celebrate Harringay.

BR

Hugh

(My note to Nilgun refers to a presentation I gave to the Green Lanes Strategy Group (GLSG) last month asking the Council to work with local residents and traders to develop a visionary plan for Harringay's future. I was pleased that it got a broadly warm approach and had Nilgun's support. They're looking at it, as I understand it, and will decide how/if to go forward at the next GLSG meeting).

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Laudable idea Hugh. Just don't fancy partying in a carpark. Maybe a food fight in Sainsbury's would attract punters.

Harringay's next party is July 13th, 12-4pm. The Ladder Summer Party will be held in the open space found betw Fairfax & Falkland Rds, Wightman Rd end.

Bring along food to share & drink and if you're a musician, your instrument!
Great suggestion, Hugh. We should do more 'nodding to the past but looking with a vision to the future'. So can anyone (other than Hugh) recall which 125th anniversary Harringay Ladder celebrates or laments on 29th October?
We could combine these Arena & Ladder anniversaries into one long Hallowe'en bash from 28th till the weekend.
Ah, yes right, gotcha.
I thought you might!
My thanks to Richard Jones at the Arena, Councillors Karen Alexander & Carolyn Baker and to Nazir Ali Khan and Andy Newman of the Garden's Residents' Association for their warm and enthusiastic response to this idea.

Nilgun Canver's mail has returned an out of office reply.

I never expect, nor get a reply from either Councillor Harris or Councillor Haley to any issue I raise - so no surprise about the silence there.

So let's wait till Nilgun's back and see if we can get cross-Harringay as well as cross-party support.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service