Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This link and from our Berlin correspondent on how much a country's international reputation can change in 50 years. This link on the same theme shows how the UK ranks in terms of international reputation.

Tags for Forum Posts: germany

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice read but I am afraid it is a little bit more complicated. Keep in mind that when not doing anything you can't do anything wrong. Though classic German cheque-book diplomacy belongs to the past, to get off the radar by opening the pocket is still the most favoured way to deal with the world for Germany's leadership. The moment Germany starts to take on more responsibility it will be forced to less "love, peace and pancake" decisions. I have no illusion about the reasons for Germany's favourable image. It it certainly better for your image when you send teddy bears and school books while around the corner Americans and British do the dirty work (not that i would back everything done but does somebody remember the Pawlow-like cry for help across the Atlantic everytime Europe could not work out the Balkans?)
Hi Steffen...you're comments are bit outdated. I'm not sure how long it is since you were last in Sachsen.. I presume that's where you come from.. But the cheque book diplomacy went out a long time ago, in fact with Helmut Kohl in 1997.
The poll in question was taken at the beginning of this year, ten years after the demise of the Kohl'sche style of politics.

I'm very proud that Germany stood up against pressure from the USA to get involved in Irak. It's a pity the UK didn't do the same. In fact Joschka Fischer, the then German Foreign Minister, stood up in front of the UN and Colin Powell, just before the invasion started and stated that there were no WMDs in Irak, which Powell and the Brits of course denied. But who was right?
Your term, "The dirty work" is quite apt in my opinion. Now, in the face of real dangers in the future with Iran, Britain and the USA have lost all credibility in the international community and it will be extremely difficult to get other countries on board in an alliance that will be needed against that regime.

Yet on the other hand, Germany has troops in Kosova and also has the third largest contingency of soldiers in Afghanistan after the USA and UK.

The difference is, Germany doesn't aspire to be the world's policeman and certainly doesn't like to punch above it's weight, like the UK is always seeking to do.

I don't know why you have such negative opinions of Germany, I imagine it might have something to do with the demise of East Germany, but that's only a guess.
Where do I show negative opinions of Germany? I cannot see any when there are none. It is just the opposite: I am quite comfortable to be german, I did not desert my home country, I claim my political right to vote and don't understand what the demise of East Germany would have to do with anything. But I am a politically aware person and allowed to have opinions. I wrote that though classic German cheque-book diplomacy BELONGS TO THE PAST, to get off the radar is still the most favoured German strategy. And this is what is happening eg in Afghanistan where there is an increasing pressure on Germany to lift restrictions on its Afghanistan directive and help reinforce combat troops in the south. Which is of course denied since it can't be communicated to the Germans who have been quite comfortable with their (enforced) power anaemia. I understand reasons and whys but it seems absurd to me to adhere to peace-keeping missions only (refusing any other involvement) in a world where Peacemaking, Peacekeeping and !Peace Enforcement! cannot be kept apart anymore. The world has changed

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service