Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The 6th Wood Green International Short Film Festival presented by Haringey Council opens on 18 April with a showcase of the best local talent.

The local programme launches three days of screenings at the Wood Green Cineworld, featuring more than 70 short films from across the world. The varied programme includes animation, comedy, drama, documentary, music and experimental films.

Aside from the films, the festival acts as a nucleus for a series of fringe events. The 'Meet the Professionals' session will give aspiring filmmakers the chance to put questions to some experienced film industry veterans. The Fastforward society will be back with a selection of youth films following on from last year's successful event, and the Political Film Corner promises to spark some lively debate. More events will be revealed closer to the date.

Festival-goers will also be invited to take advantage of some special film festival deals offered in local shops and restaurants throughout the weekend. A number of local traders will be offering a variety of tempting deals to festival ticket holders, who should look out for the 'film festival supporter' window stickers around Wood Green High Road and Turnpike Lane to bag some local bargains.

The opening night will include two films developed through Haringey Council's annual short film production fund. Rolling On by Paola Desiderio is a thoughtful documentary exploring the youth skateboard culture in and around Finsbury Park, and The Extra Mile by Stuart Parkins is a touching drama, following a teacher leading his class on a journey of discovery across the borough, taking in the sights and sounds they go.

The council assisted five filmmakers in total this year, offering bursaries between £1,500 and £3,000 plus the opportunity to develop their project's potential with sessions at a top professional script agency. They will be hoping to follow the success of local filmmaker Kim Albright, whose film Dragonfly was the first film to be funded by the scheme in 2006 and went on to be a hit at the recent London Film Festival. Kim is now working in the industry as a music video director.

The festival runs from Friday 18 April to Sunday 20 April. Ticket prices range from £2.50 to £3.50, and the children's film event on Saturday is free.

Tickets will be on sale from 11 April, and can be purchased via the Cineworld booking line: 0871 200 2000 or online via www.cineworld.co.uk The festival has been a sell out in recent years, so early booking is advised.

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds Interesting.
Isn't it great that Wood Green has its own film festival!! The standard of this year's films is impressive and bodes well for UK filmmaking. Will be going to the closing night on April 20, if any of you can make it, be good to hook up. I'll be the one with the grumpy partner who'd rather be down the Walthamstow Folk Club on a sunday night.

Sandi
I went to Cineworld site but couldn't see a programme of films for the festival. Anyone know where I can find this?
There is a WG FF site but it's only got info about last yrs films. The CW site does have a number to call, but they only show the next week's Prog. I imagine the full prog will be up from Thu.
This a problem. We wanted to run something on it last year but couldn't get a press release until the day before. It may just be a time and resources issue. I'm meeting with the organisers this Saturday so will raise this with them as some info on the films on their website for prospective festival goers would be useful. Having watched all the films, all I can say - am permitted to say - is that there is some outstanding local filmmaking talent here. If I can get my hands on the films info, and get clearance to publish from the organisers, it will be on FilmExposed early next week.
Thank you. I'd appreciate you letting us know here if you succeed in getting a programme. No programme for a film festival (even just online) is like a fish without water. :)
Is a bit! Sure, will post link to info here.
Thanks Sandi
Hello Matt et al, have just been notified that the box office is now open and you can ring 0871 200 2000 to book your tix. Have attached details of films, and events taking place throughout the weekend.

cheers
Sandi
Attachments:
Thanks Sandi.

Lots of murder and mayhem in those story lines from Haringey's up and coming film makers!

Didn't see much for little kidz.
Thanks for that Sandi. Do you know anything about any of the films or filmmakers? If so, any recommendations?
The ones that I watched were all very good for different reasons. My recs from the attached list include the following: Missed; :-); Danny Boy; The Stirring – So This Is How It Feels (music vid); Blue Room Remix (Aphex Twin music vid); Event Horizon; The Helsinki Affair; Best Shot; Clean Me; The Generals Wife; Pudding Bowl; Side Effect; Small Bird Singing; In The Bench; A Different Mind, and The Girls who would be God.

Hope that helps.

Also, when I get it, will post info on the FourElls Film Festival 2008. Over 40 schools from the Boroughs of Haringey, Brent and Hounslow have produced 124 short films between them which will be screened in their respective boroughs throughout June. The Haringey schools screening will take place between Mon 9 - Thurs 12 Jun, and I look forward to seeing if we have a Tarantino, Scorcese, Campion or Bigelow amongst them.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service