Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Looks stunning - take a look at this Flickr set.

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Worth a look.
I haven't seen inside - it would be good if they opened it for Open House. Certainly famous as the Rainbow with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Jimi Hendrix etc. playing there.
I remember it as a cinema and especially the fountain in the entrance hall, complete with goldfish.
I also went to the Rainbow too.
This looks amazing! Thanks for this!
It would be incredible to get this back to being a music venue, especially now that the Astoria on Charing Cross Rd. is going to be demolished (thanks, Crossrail!). I guess chances are slim to none - the current owners would possibly not approve. :(
That place is huge! Guess the current credit crunch(ie) leaves it unused for another generation. Unless it gets converted into housing ...

Wonder if someone would let us have our next 'drinks' there, BYO style. :)

Actually, the main hall would make a great indoor skateboard/BMX park for the kidz.
Isn't it a church or something now? Does anyone know?
Universal Church of the Kingdom of God

"In 1996, the UCKG acquired the derelict Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park. Initially no heat or light was available in the building, but that did not deter the growing congregation from attending daily services. The UCKG then embarked on a major renovation programme and associated fund-raising (to amass more than £1 million) to restore the Grade II* listed 1930s cinema to its former glory."
Is this the same place? Stephen's commenst above suggest it's different.
Sorry.. to clarify, the Rainbow took over the whole of the Astoria.
What I should have written was.... As well going to the Astoria when it was a cinema, I also went to concerts in the Rainbow.. ca. 1972. I'm not sure of the exact date of the closure of the cinema, but I do have a book on cinema's so I'll check it out when I'm back in Berlin.
Thanks for that clarification S. I'd been wondering where o earth the Rainbow might be. And thanks for digging up the link Alistair. I've dropped them a note asking if/when one can visit.
Let us know if they'll let us have a nosey around. Hopefully no strings attached if they let us..
So as promised:
The Astoria opened on 29 September 1930
Architect, Edward A. Stone
Seating capacity 2,802 Telephone ARChway 2224

Opened on 29 September 1930 Opening Film "Condemed"
Renamed: the ODEON 8 November 1970
Closed: 18 September 1971 Closing Film "Gorgo" and "Twisted Nerve"
Became: the SUNDOWN dance hall
Became: the RAINBOW theatre for rock shows

derelict in 1986....

RSS

Advertising