Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've been out of town all day and just got back to receive a call from Ian Sygrave of the LCSP about the Metrobet Gambling licence application (corner of Warham Road).

Sadly the magistrates found in their favour. Apparently it was a long afternoon of deliberation and the beaks haven't had time to write up their judgement giving the reasons for the decision. It will be forthcoming very soon.

I imagine that the Council could appeal, but I'm not at all sure whether they'll go that far.

Of course this makes it all the more likely that Better will also get their licence.

What happened? Hard to say. Gobsmackingly crass legislation must shoulder the lion's share of the blame, but for my money I think Haringey's counsel did a decidedly mediocre job. I think he focussed on the wrong things, failed to press home advantages and omitted important evidence.

Ah well, we'll see if we can get the Council to appeal, but otherwise I'm afraid that's it. Game over. We'll just have to get along with our new neighbours I suppose.

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gambling, green lanes, metrobet

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The national media already have picked up on the story. Not that it appears to have helped this time.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/12/consumeraffairs
Sorry for the tardy response, trying to pass the Legal Practice Course has deprived me of free time recently.

Hugh - tried to investigate the matter more thoroughly, yet to come up with a definitive answer. I have e-mailed Ladbrokes and William Hill, who won't answer because they seem to think I am working for HM Revenue and Customs and I'm trying to audit them. However, I do have an acquaintance who works for Coral, I've e-mailed him so hopefully he can provide an answer.

As a mere Johnny-Come-Lately to this forum I may seem a little nescient when it comes to these matters, but I would be most grateful if somebody could outline to me their opposition of more bookmakers opening.
I can tell you why I'm opposed.

I'm not against betting per se. It's just a matter of balance. We already have six betting shops in Green Lanes. I'm quite sure that's enough. I waqnt a road with a good balance of shops. MOving from 6 to 9 betting shops puts in way out of balance.

If you talk to the police you'll hear that they are places where transactions on the seedier side of life take place (often, but not always in the loos).

More betting shops attracts more of that sort of behaviour. What group/s of people will they be most likely to attract?

The reason that betting shops are more prevalent in areas to which lower income grouos have access is because they're the ones who are targetted. People spend fortunes in these places. The new Fixed odds betting terminals have been called the crack cocaine of gambling. Having too many shops reinforces messages about gambling and increases the risks.

I don't want Green Lanes to be Crouch End, but I don't want it turning into something seedy either.

Not particularly well argued, but I'm in a rush and wanted to get back to you with something.
I appreciate the response, it's well thought out and informative. I hate to swim against the tide, but there are a few minor points on which I disagree with you Hugh.

Unfortunately, I also am running short of time. 'Twas nearly time I departed towards the Old Ale Emporium to watch Liverpool and Arsenal play.

But thanks again for the quick response, I'll reply in full tomorrow.
I guess I should add that the fact that more shops leads to more gambling addiction and is related to crime is evidenced by published studies.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service