Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

European Car Free Day - What about putting Harringay's stretch of Green Lanes Foward?

.....and we could have a party!!

See Living Streets post below:

In Town Without Your Car - European Car Free Day, September 2008

We are all getting together to work with Haringey Council to take part in the European Car Free Day in September (either Saturday 20th or Monday 22nd). This is a day when the Council closes a street to cars and lorries allowing people to enjoy walking, cycling, street theatre, live music, public art and children's play areas. It could be a shopping street or a residential street. If it's a residential street it could be combined with a street party. Whilst our near neighbours Camden, Islington, Hackney and Waltham Forest take part in the day each year Haringey has only tried it once, some years ago.

We hope you like this idea and will want to support it by taking part and helping to organise the fun. But first we need to think of streets we could suggest to the Council which could be considered for closure. Do you know of a street you could suggest? And also, would you have members who would help with the organisation?

Please let me know. Between us we could make Car Free Day a day to remember!

Chris Barker
- Haringey Living Streets
- Sustainable Haringey Network Transport Group
c.barker@lineone. net
020 8347 7684

We have a local Living Streets Rep on this site. I wonder what he thinks

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, european car free day, green lanes, living streets

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The pickpockets would have a brilliant day!
Seriously though, good idea, but am very worried about the traffic.
Here's a post from someone in the GRA:

I am not sure if Green Lanes itself as such is being put forward as a possible. As far as I know there has been a meeting with a couple of council officers discussing High Rd Wood Green. This is still to be formally agreed & they need to meet with Cllr Haley & another officer before being able to go ahead.

So, for all those who doubt that it's possible to close Green Lanes, if Wood Green High Street, then why not us? (Tell ya if they close Wood Green High Street, imagine the result for traffic in Harringay.)
And a reply from Councillor Canver to a post I put on the GRA site referencing this post. Strange that she should chose to reply to that group and not this one, but a welcome reply nonetheless:

Hi All, between the Salisbury Pub and the Green Lanes bridge on main road might be a possibility. What’s the deadline on this pls? It will be a good idea to discuss at the next Green Lanes Strategy Group.

Nilgun Canver

I will mail her - perhaps she doesn't read this site.................
Let's make this happen for the Next two years, while we campaign to still remain EU members.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service