Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Quite a few discussions on this site have involved guessing at some point certain statistics in relation to the ward of Harringay. For bare facts the best we have is National Statistics and the last Census of 2001. OK this is now 7 years ago but it gives us some idea.

For example; Population:
* ward population: 10,525
* percentage born in England: 54.07
* percentage born in Scotland: 1.88
* percentage born in Wales: 1.44
* percentage from elsewhere: 33.46 (3522)

Age structure;
* mean age of people in ward: 34
* over 65: 9.36%
* 0 -15: 14.21%
* 20-29: 27.65%
* 30-44: 28.64%

Ethnic group;
* White British: 44.27% (4,659)
* White: Other White 21.51% (2,264)
* Mixed race: 3.85%
* Asian or Asian British: 8.76%
* Black or Black British: 13.86%
* Chinese: 3.05%

Economic background;
* Students: 16%
* Retired: 7.83%
* Employees: 48.41%
* Self-employed: 8.3%

Housing type;
* Total no. of household spaces: 4520
* Flat; maisonette or ... of a converted or shared house (including bed-sits): 45%
Percentage average across Borough Haringey: 25.94%
Percentage average across London: 13.94%
Percentage average across England: 4.55%
* Vacant properties: no. 129
* Whole house: 39.92%
* Flat; maisonette or apartment: Purpose Built block of flats or tenement: 11.69%

Link.

Tags for Forum Posts: demographics, geodemographics

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matt, to see a view of the key stats as they apply to the whole of Harringay, rather than just Harringay Ward, take a look at the demographics section of my Wikipedia article. I calculated the Harringay-wide figures through reference to super-output areas - the level below wards and this way you can pretty much approximate a fairly accurate figure. You could calculate all the figures above by the same method, if you felt so inclined (See the article footnote).
Absolutely bowled over by the percentage of houses converted into flats/bedsits in this ward. Nearly 50%! Compared to even the average across the borough of 25% this is incredibly high. Apparently the only road not to have a single HMO is Fairfax. In some roads properties having 7-10 bells is not entirely unusual.

The population is very young in Harringay which would go with the high number of converted properties.

The stats though are basically showing what I expected.

This site needs to attract and represent younger people as the are such a large group and remember that house owning families with 2.4 children are not even the dominant group.
I think we should get a nice leaflet (like the one I am not allowed to stick on my door) and ask some of the internet cafe owners to put it up.
My house used to be 6 bedsits in the 80s.
If I was young and living here it would be because the busses/tube are so good, not because I like the quality of the houses and the other people who live here too.
Certainly some publicity would be good. Internet cafe owners, other cafes and the pubs such as the Salisbury. Something short and snappy (postcard size).

I certainly would have appreciated such a site when I first got here, particularly info on good shops, pubs, crime discussions (eg. bus 29), local history etc.

I wonder if we can cover the print costs via an ad on the back ....
But Matt, to keep this in proportion, the figure is almost the same for Crouch End. (just 5% lower)
crouch end, i would guess, has a high proportion of converted houses, because young professionals want to buy a property in a nice area - and a flat in crouch end is as far as their money will get them?

different genre of HMOs I would imagine!
Hmmmm, looking at the economic background, 19% are unemployed? Is that high?
Certainly sounds it. Maybe they're working as a part of the Green Lanes cash economy.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service