Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A few weeks ago I was at an event run for social enterpreneurs (not saying I'm one, but at any rate I was there) and I met a lady who's recently started a not for profit community interest company which offers communities training in deailing with challenging behaviour.

The threatening dog owners, mad McDonalds girls and HMO hard nuts came to mind when I came across her leaflet whilst tidying my office this morning. I've written to ask for more info. In her short info leaflet, she says this:

We are a not for profit Community Interest Company which provides training and practical support to individuals and groups to enable us . as citizens to respond safely to challenging and antisocial behaviour I wherever we encounter it, in the workplace, in public places, in our communities.

Most of us don't want to stand by when someone is in difficulty or when we see a group of youths vandalising a bus shelter. Is there a way to respond, somewhere in between keeping our heads down and doing nothing and intervening and putting ourselves and perhaps others in danger? Are we confident that we can respond in a way that does not make the situation worse?

Our Programme has been adapted from the Metropolitan Police Office Safety Training given to new police recruits to give us the skills to de-escalate confrontation and respond safely to challenging and antisocial behaviour wherever we encounter it.

Business

for private companies to assist employees to manage conflict within their organisations and to deal effectively with challenging behaviour from members of the public in the course of their work.

Public

for public and voluntary sector organisations, both for their employees who work in challenging environments and for their clients who live in areas where they face antisocial behaviour.

Community

for groups and individuals who face challenging behaviour in their communities, on their way to and from work, in everyday life.

Young

for teenagers and young people who face aggression and antisocial behaviour from other young people and from adults, in schools, in colleges, in their neighbourhoods.

The Programme

Whether facing verbal confrontation or the threat of violence participants will learn how to recognise potential risks, develop communication skills to defuse confrontational situations, portray confidence and avoid aggression. Courses can be tailored to address the particular issues of each business, organisation or community group.

Tags for Forum Posts: crime, local ideas, saftey, training, violence

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've asked about costs - but on their business training, they do a buy one get one free.

I had in mind writing to McDonalds. following Mary's incident, and getting them to pay to train their staff and so pay for a course for we residents too. Seems like very natural and practical justice/expolitation of their fear of bad PR. Wadja fink?
Oh yes! I could not think of anything to spend 10K on (lots to spend 100K on) but this could be really good.

So.... how much is it for one?
I'll tell you as soon as I know.
Ahhh... I thought you were keeping an idiot in suspense.

Well I am very keen. My wife's method for dealing with litterbugs is to grab them by the arm and ask them what the bloody hell they think they're doing and it's going to get one of us punched one day.

If it costs anything then I doubt McDonalds will go for it but for cheek value it's worth a try.
I like the sound of your wife! :D
Maybe McDonald's should bring in a *NEW BigMac* called Valium Deluxe.

It is certainly a part of city life to know how to spot danger, react if necessary and come out unscathed. Classes are already provided via the police for residents. It's free and straight forward. Contact Glyn or any member of the SNT.
My understanding of the classes run by the SNT, Matt, is that they're somehwat more comcerned with people's own personal safety - which is rather different. You can read about them here in an old post on this site.
That's a great idea, hit them where it hurts, clog up the wheels of the PR machine. They cannot risk any more bad publicity, I will get in touch with head office again and inform them of this initiative while reminding them of their intention to review their security policy in the letter they sent me last month and will further remind them that to date I have not heard anything more from them even though they were 'INVESTIGATING' the incident. Just when they thought I had gone away and they were safe;
Priceless. :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service