Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: tottenham hale development, traffic

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes 750 carparking spaces is pretty bad... but I doubt they'll all be driving over here. We all have a carparking space outise our houses, it's only fair that others do too unless we're prepared to give ours up. It's a nice bike ride along the navigation canal into docklands if you work there.

Two other things I note:
1. There is a determination to prevent unscrupulous landlords getting a foothold in the village.

"Will not allow buy-to-let landlords to exploit the homelessness market," he says. "Local authorities don't want other council's dumping homeless people."

So there is an acknowledged problem with unscrupulous landlords... I notice that the NRV is not as exclusive as other St James developments projects in London (yes I know, Chelsea is a straw man).

2. Then there are the hidden costs such as discovering two kilometres of Second World War underground air raid shelters on the site - believed to be the largest of its kind in the country.

Here Tottenham residents and workers, mainly women, would have spent hours at a time awaiting the all clear. Items found inside had to be archived and recorded for English Heritage before the tunnels could be filled in, in a project costing around £100,000.

£100,000 is what we were quoted for a traffic survey by the council. Something doesn't add up, I think we should ask for a quote. Can anyone remember who was spoken to at the council about it?

I think it sounds great. Tottenham needs this more than we need less traffic.
> ..... two kilometres of Second World War underground air raid shelters on the site - believed to be the largest of its kind in the country.

They've discovered these and now they're filling them in! Are they at least keeping one or two available for the tourist dollar? Thought Haringey was all for creating work opportunities.

Check: http://www.slightlylostintheworld.co.uk/2007/03/river-feet.html

:)
Hey, you are filling in the biggest bombsite on the ladder, you can talk.
And I see that the going rate for a carparking space in the NRV is £70pcm. Does that put into perspective for us how good we have it being allowed to park outside our houses for less than a tenth of that?

We should setup a company for charging a toll to come through the ward, lobby the council to let us do it and make a killing. Offering them a percentage of course. This is not extortion, it's progressive taxation. I reckon we'd only need six cameras.
Yes it's true that it's an old bomb site. We are not however filling it in. That was done years ago.

I learned today that the 'ladder area' was also deemed dangerous for children to stay in during the WWII bombings so many were sent out of the capital. As a consequence North Harringay School was closed down for a year because there weren't enough children around to teach.
Rachael's grandfather was a teacher in the east end (well, near Dagenham) at the start of the war. He has some lovely pictures of them evacuating the kids via Stratford, the central line, Ealing Broadway and out to the country (Devon, Cornwall) where he says they were treated like scum. The one girl left behind because her parents could not bear to part with her was killed in an air raid.
Yes, a lot of people were killed. Would be amazing to scan and upload those photos to this site. Or does he now live in Oz?

The story of Paddington bear was inspired by the author seeing the return to train stations of 1000s of kids from the country side to London at the end of the war. They turned up with one bag and a tag attached to them to identify them..... like refugees in their own country.

(we really are off topic now! :) )

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service