Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi all

There's a rear guard action to delete the word ''COMMUNITY'' from this community site. This seems to me rather bizarre since the very essence of this site is to nuture the spirit of our community and encourage a sense of place.

This site does this by connecting people up who may never of had the chance to meet, even though they may only live a few doors or streets away. This community site enables connections with ideas, interests and issues that affect us as individuals and as a group.

Do we really want to be known as simply an 'online' group stuck out there somewhere in cyber space? The name Harringay Online smacks of corporate branding; Tesco online, Sainsbury's online.

Definition of ''COMMUNITY'';
Summary of contemporary uses:

1. Local groupings based on proximity and sometimes face-to-face relationships (as in local community, community work);

2. Community of interests (as in research community, business community); and characteristics (as in ethnic community).

3. Quality of relationships - sharing of common goals, values, identities; participatory decision-making and symbolic production; and connected with these - emotional and moral investments.

Please vote to keep the word ''Community'' within Harringay.

Call me an old romantic if you will .... that's just fine. :)

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, it's both I think.

Ideally the site will change from a ning site and the domain will change when a decision is made, again as pointed out for ease of remembering etc. The site will be exactly the same, just with a fresh look, smaller domain name that correlates to the name of the site.

I think this site will grow locally, as it has been doing, and a more inviting design and web address will help this site become more inclusive for locals.
Oh. You're a mate of Adam Coffman's aren't you?
Are you going to hold that against me? I do know the chap yeah : )
No. :)
Just to clarify - Ning will still host the site. It's a great platform. Not perfect, but pretty damn good.
I am looking at a new site address - a chnage to something that people who don't yet know it can remember - but no change to the site itself - only a redesign and the normal incremental improvements.
> but no change to the site itself

Ah, so no change to the title/name of the site either. It stays as 'Harringay Community'. Well that will please the 2/3rds who have gone for either option in the poll that has the word 'community' in it.
....or only the third who have voted for Harringay Community Online. At lease all will be pleased that Harringay is still there.

Huge is correct, I mixed my words, it will be ning site, all that will/could change is the design, the domain name, name of the site (slightly).

I would imagine that community will appear on the head banner somewhere, even if it is in the descriptor text underneath.

As I have stated, let the members decide and that is the best way to conclude this issue.
Yes Steve and lets allow discussion too. There will need to be a clear mandate for change of the name (ie. 50% >). Would you agree?
No, I will accept whatever comes out on top, even if it is not my preference, I do not mind discussion and opinion, that is what’s happening.

I will gladly accept what will be chosen by the members of this poll, will you?
If the mandate for change is clear.
The web address for this site currently is http://harringay.ning.com/ nowhere in that states the word community.

A website should usually, if you want it to be clear should have the domain that correlates to the name of the site, this doesn’t.

I will accept the first past the post on this poll, that’s what these polls are, no percentage mandate, it’s quite clear to me.

I am sure that the word community will be included in the main banner even if it is in the subtext.

You can of course approach Huge to become involved in the running, promoting and advertising of this site, should you feel you have the time. It is after all run by his good will, time, money and effort and I would assume welcome anyone who could help out and contribute thoughts on such matters.

“May the Best Domain Name Win”.
Sorry, just remembered that is the name of the mag. Ignore me on that one.

In retrospect I am all for "Community".

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service