Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Licence Application for Betting Shop No. 3. Do You Want the Good News or the Bad News?

This morning I received notification that planning permission for the change of use of 48 Grand Parade was refused by Haringey Council.

That's good.

HOWEVER, I spoke with one of the officers in the Planning Department this morning and they told me that the applicant has informed them that they will appeal the decision to the Secretary of State (the same Secretary of State who overruled the Council on their decision about the concrete factory). They sounded quite cocky by all accounts and told the officer that they've appealed decisions in the past and won.

Sadly, this is likely to be true. The same council officer also told me that Haringey have just lost a similar case in front of the Secretary of State for an application in Wood Green High Road. Urghh!

But there is still hope. At the point the applicants appeal, residents who lodged an objection to the original plannig application can make a submission to the S of S. You can bet I will be doing so. So it's time t bone up on the Town & Country Planning Act.

AND, this is just the planning application. They still have yet to get a gambling licence. Forthcoming developments on the other two proposed betting shops will tell us more about what's likely to happen there.

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gambling, green lanes, planning

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just took a look at the online record of this planning application . I'm stunned at the consultation response - 56 letters of objection. A record? Good on you guys!
And the council officer just rang me back. She described this level of response to a consultation as "unprecedented". Apparently, they'd normally expect to get 1 or 2 responses with 5 or 6 on the really big cases. Unprecedented indeed!
Thanks for this Hugh. Just to be clear, if you didn't object at the time, you can't now? I assume that's the case from your message. But I presume anyone would be able to object once it comes to the issue of a gambling licence?
Correct on both counts. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Luckilly we've had that unprecedented number of submissions in the consultation. So we should be covered for the S of S piece.
If it's any consolation, I have it on good authority that success on appeal of planning applications is VERY rare

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service