Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Welcome to 2008 - and whilst we're all celebrating rebirth and things starting anew, a bit of tradition; another in my long line of useless facts about Harringay.

In writing a short new Wikipedia article on Railway Fields just recently I learned that in 1987 a completely new plant species was discovered there. It's called Haringey Knotweed and is a hybridisation of Japanese Knotweed and Russian Vine. My understanding is that it's unique to Railway Fields.

Shame it couldn't have been a mix between Lungwort and Primrose or something a little less thuggish. But I guess if you're a species whose big bang moment happens next to a railway line on the site of an old railway goods yard, you're more likley to get a hold if you're something of a bully boy.

The BCTV conservation officer for Railway Fields is a member of this site - can you correct me if I'm wrong or give us any more info?

Tags for Forum Posts: fields, japanese knotweed, plants, railway, weeds

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I work at Railway Fields as the BTCV Conservation Officer. I've just read your message Hugh on 'New Plant Species Discovered in Haringey' and yes you are right in that this is a new species found only on this site. Now everyone is thinking the worst, the dreaded Japanese Knotweed and the Russian Vine but I have to say the Haringey Knotweed is a more delicate plant and is also surprisingly not that vigorous. Last year my group of volunteers took down the overhanging branches and we also laid the hedge so we could get more light onto the Haringey Knotweed to encourage flowering as it hasn't flowered in a number of years.
So before you think horror of horrors and trot down to the bottom of your garden with a spade to see whether it has spread your way, come and have a look first for yourself at this really rather lovely plant. Just knock on the door at the hut and I'll happily show you where it is only best come in the Spring when it's in colour!
Oh, I had realised it was specific to just that site. Then we ought to start campaigning for it to be renamed Harringay Knotweed!!

Thanks for the info, and reassurance, Catherine.
David (Bevan) first showed this plant to me some years ago Catherine. It`s quite famous isn`t it.
Where is David now? He used to amuse me with his power walking up and down the `Ladder` lol
You're right it is quite famous. It first come to notice back in 1987. David has retired a couple of years ago but is still very active - in fact he is due to do a Wildlife Walk & Talk at Railway Fields next Saturday 14th at 2pm so if you want to come along and see him again just pop along.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service