Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Information requested and received from Haringey Council under the Freedom of Information Act tells us that the six councillors in the Harringay & St Ann's wards have attracted the following allowances and costs:

2006/2007:
- Total allowances & expenses - £120.036.20.

2007/2008
- Total allowances & expenses - £130,662, with expenses yet to be finalised.

Good value? What do you think?

The cost per councillor averages out in this financial year at around £21,600. However, the money is not evenly divided since the four Labour councillors all have Special Responsibilities which attract higher amounts. Of the total amounts paid in each year about 53% in 2006/7 and 47% in 2007/8 were in respect of special allowances. So, another quick calculation tells us that the basic amount for a councillor is about £11,500 this year. The four councillors with special responsibilities would receive an additional average of about £15,000, making their totals an average of £26,500 per councillor.

I suppose if we feel the councillors are doing a good job on our behalf this isn't bad value for money. Are we getting that value?

I have checked this information (except the calculations) with a staff member in Haringey's Local Democracy & Member Services team. However, if any members of this site are able to correct any misunderstandings or mistakes in the information given above, their contributions are most welcome.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local election, 2010 local elections, councillors' pay

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All, I have my surgeries 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month 11am-1pm at CAB 14a Willoughby Road N8.
I have been leaving with my family in this area since 1972 and local people know me and they will ring me, email, or stop me in the street if they need to talk to me. In fact I have one of the busiest surgeries in Haringey
with regards gina Adamou
An ineffective councillor is worth no more than the amounts set out; a hard-working effective councillor is probably worth a lot more. Some councillors actively cause financial waste while others fight it and identify inefficiencies, or ways in which our taxes could be used more effectively. The exciting thing is, we get to choose them!

With regard to the politicisation of assistants, I think this tends to be inevitable and especially after long periods of rule by one party (whatever party), regardless of what the letter of the law says or the officially stated position.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service