Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm not sure of the best place to post this so I'm kinda putting it out there. It's also on my blog.

I have a copy of the 1911 Census which shows that my maternal great-grandparents lived at the above address at the time the Census was taken. My grandmother was 9 yrs old at the time.

In 1929 she was living in Blandford in Dorset and in 1929 my mother was born in Blandford and lived there until she joined the WRAF in the early fifties. My grandmother was still living in Dorset when she died some time in the sixties.

In 1955 my parents moved into 37C Grand Parade, two roads up and across the road from Pemberton Road. I had no idea my great-grandparents lived in Harringay. The other curious thing is that my great-grandfather and all his children were born in Islington - so was I. I was born in the City of London Maternity Hospital, which is likely where they were all born.

This is all too much of a coincidence and has sparked my curiosity.

My great-grandfather worked as an Electrical Instrument Examiner for the Post Office in 1911 and I wondered whether anyone knows if I can find PO records that go back that far and how I would make contact to ask?

Does anyone know who lives in 63 Pemberton Road now?

Views: 550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're definitely right about his job potentially being a "reserved occupation", but if it wasn't (or even if it was and he chose to go to war), he might have served - conscription was introduced in 1916 for men aged 18 to 40, with some exceptions for widowers with children, etc., and your great-great-grandfather would have been 39 then. Eventually the maximum age for conscription was increased to 51. Many men chose to sign up before they were conscripted, for fear of being branded a coward. As I understand it, men would receive their conscription papers and then have a chance to appeal to a Military Service Tribunal on the grounds of being in a reserved occupation, ill health, financial hardship (e.g. if they were running their own business and their family would fall on hard times if they couldn't keep the business going) and conscientious objection. If he did sign up or was conscripted (and didn't appeal), there should be a service record; if he was conscripted and appealed, there should be a tribunal record - subject in both cases to the problem with many WW1 records having been destroyed during WW2.

I'm not an expert on this, but there are people in the Hornsey Historical Society who are - they've done a lot of work looking through Military Service Tribunal records to research conscientious objectors, so they might be able to point you in the right direction on where to look (if the records still exist) for any Military Service Tribunal mention of your relative.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service