Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

13 Ladder roads will be getting new trees, attached is the full list.

Tags for Forum Posts: tree_planting, trees

Views: 62

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had troubles uploading this attachment.. so I can't read the 'exciting' news.. I have a couple of questions..

Are the types of trees to be planted stated..? And are residents going to be involved in the choice..?

I imagine it would quite a good idea if each road had 'its own' type of tree and that trees that don't spread too wide would be chosen, not just bog standard twiggy things, making the need for severe pruning in the future unnecessary.
Any idea how roads were chosen for trees?
As far as I'm aware 2 criteria:

1. Replacing trees recently lost due to disease.
2. Allocating tree to roads with fewer trees.

Here's a mail I got from Haringey back in the summer on this issue, previously posted on this discussion:

Hugh,

There are 52 new trees being planted in the ladder roads this forthcoming planting season. The allocation is as follows:

Sydney Road 3
Frobisher Road 4
Fairfax Road 8
Beresford Road 3
Allison Road 8
Hewitt Road 1
Seymour Road 2
Warham Road 1
Pemberton Road 6
Mattison Road 6
Cavendish Road 8
Umfreville Road 1
Lothair Road North 1

We have planted 205 new trees in the ladder roads over the last few years. This has increased the overall tree population. There are still some roads which require further planting and this is being addressed over the next planting seasons. To achieve an even balance of trees ideally you would have approx 20 trees in each road, however some roads currently have more than this allocation specifically Burgoyne Road which was historically planted as a lime avenue. There are of course some exceptions where the roads are much shorter and do not require this allocation.

The species we are currently planting are Amelanchier, Rowan, flowering Cherry, Hawthorn, Cockspur thorn.

These are species that are suitable for street tree planting and have been successfully planted across the borough. They establish well in the poor rooting environment found beneath the public highway and they also tolerate urban stress and pollution.

The new trees will be small to medium in size when mature, have a low water demand, keep an upright form and have small leaves, which will minimise future nuisance issues. New trees will improve the local environment, providing benefits such as reduced air pollution and shade in the summer months. Street trees provide many social, environmental and economic benefits. Planting new trees helps towards implement government policies on sustainable development, urban renewal, biodiversity and health and well being.

Regards

Clare Carter
Arboricultural Officer
London Borough of Haringey

Tel: 020 8489 5774
Fax: 020 8489 5642
Email: clare.carter@haringey.gov.uk
2 poxy trees for us on Seymour, we hardly have any left, could do with at least 6 more! Am I being greedy now?
You're lucky, we've got nout! I've got some hemp seeds and a trowel somewhere : )
Off you trot then! :D
Seriously though, that's pretty poor - wonder why? Have you got loads of trees as it is?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service