Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a very innovative community project that's just starting up on the fast changing Woodberry Down Estate in Manor House. The idea is to use 3D printing (printing an object) both as a community art tool with social purpose and, more practically, to train locals in 3D printing with a view to them using it commercially.

It sounded really interesting, so I got myself down there last weekend, snapped a few bits of video with my iphone and cobbled together this video.

The project is run by the Manor House Development Trust with the support of Something & Son and Initition.

Views: 712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

errr - what is 3D printing though ?

Thanks for the question, John.

Here's a definition from extremetech:

3D printing is a method of manufacturing everything from tools to shoes to jewelery, or even car and aerospace parts using a computer-controlled printer. The fundamental rule of 3D printing is that it’s an additive manufacturing technique, unlike machining, turning, milling, and sawing which are subtractive.

While there are different kinds of 3D printing, all 3D objects are generally built out of layers. A 3D printer starts with the bottom layer, waits for it to dry or solidify, and then works its way up. This layering process differs depending on the printer and the material it works with — metal, plaster, polymer, resin — but it also depends on whether it’s an industrial or commercial 3D printer.

Hope that helps. I imagine a bit of googling around will offer many more definitions and links.

Thanks Hugh. Interesting.

Great idea! Thanks for all the videos Hugh!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service