Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

250th anniversary of the "Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green" on July 26th

Wednesday, 26th July will be the 250th anniversary of "The Mayor and Corporation of Stroud Green", a big and lively Georgian-era drinking club that named itself after the village pub in Stroud Green (today the Stapleton Tavern), but went on a massive London drinking spree, 1750-1780.

To recap - once a year they "elected" a "Mayor" and called themselves "Aldermen".  Their gluttony and capacity for ale were legendary.  Their antics were mentioned in newspapers of the day and they left a gorgeous "badge of office" now in the V&A.
Just for fun, I'm now posting on Twitter a daily 'advent calendar' as a countdown to the anniversary of "Mayor" Sir Thomas Legg on July 26th 1773, with lots of new details of the London pubs they visited and their drinking progress.
My Twitter name is @stroudgreenguy and the hashtags are #MayorofStroudGreen and #StroudGreen1773.  Do come along for the ride. Enjoy.
In addition, the whole bonkers story has now been published in a history magazine (online on my blog here:) https://thatmikedurham.wordpress.com/2023/03/01/a-toast-to-the-mayo...
I'm an ex-journalist with no training as a historian, but researching Mayor Legg has given me a lot of fun. On the night in question, Wednesday July 26th, I hope to be at the historic pub, the Stapleton Tavern, to toast the 1773 Mayor.  I'll be there in a personal capacity - nothing official, as sadly, I couldn't raise any enthusiasm for a 'mock election' this year.  Do come and say hello if you're about!
Justice, Truth and Friendship! (The Ancient Corporation motto).

Views: 210

Reply to This

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service