Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Public Notices have just gone up announcing that the Council propose to introduce a 20mph limit along Wightman and Alroy roads, with speed bumps and raised humps at the pelican crossings.

Tags for Forum Posts: 20 mph, Wightman traffic calming, traffic, wightman Road

Views: 244

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

**cough** John, I don't think Matt is into iPhones.. et al..
I was offering it to Paul. Well... I was wondering if it might inspire him to go and get one...

I played with mine today on the road hump outside my house. Of course for the 10 minutes that I was there only cars went past and very slowly...
Oh yeah, so you were.. I'm getting my 'threads' in a muddle..
Could do with it. Council not interested in state of road after Thames had torn it up. House shakes when medium sized white vans etc. pass - without humps. Combination of unstable road surface, vehicle speed and size.
I am sure that one of the local Lib Dem councillors had a bicycle accident with a pothole on Wightman Rd earlier this year but I can't find the posting. Needless to say I don't think they took up my advice to sue the council for the cost of their new wheel. Perhaps if they had...
The crux of the issue is whether a 20 mph zone is desirable on the Ladder rungs - would those residents like to see the (inappropriate round topped) humps removed and the speed limit increased to 30? - and Wightman. If it is, then physical traffic calming is required. Personally, I would like to see the 20 mph Ladder zone extended as proposed but ultimately something more akin to what has been done behind Philip Lane or with The Gardens. As for road surface upkeep, well . . . .
The Proposed 20mph zone-Wightman Road Statutory Consultation 8-page booklet has now come through my letterbox. Very impressive detail, very clear examples and explanations plus very detailed mapping out of the proposed changes to Wightman/Alroy. And how to Have Your Say by 10th December.

I fully endorse WightmanPaul's posts. This 20mph Zone extension deserves a very positive response.
Unfortunately they still refer to the existing zone as 'The Ladders'!
it is very odd that councils with environmental targets are causing pollution by making everyone crawl around at 20mph. And speed bumps make me sick! grr. I am all for pedestrian safety but surely this can be achieved by crossing at the crossings (more perhaps needed on wightman) and keeping hold of your kids!
Look I understand that if you're driving a car down Wightman Rd these days you think the road is there just for you. As is evidenced by historical photographs on this website, Wightman Rd used to be the location for an evening game of football. We won't win any more world cups with kids spending all their play time on a playstation.
@Sally: 'it is very odd that councils with environmental targets are causing pollution by making everyone crawl around at 20mph'

As a WR resident who always crawls around at not more than 3mph may I suggest that by driving sensibly at approx 20mph along our road you will not be causing us any greater pollution than we already enjoy by living in London. The additional raised crossing tables, platforms and speed humps are not our preferred means of traffic calming or pedestrian safety (as indeed several of us have argued in other discussion threads on this site over the past 20 months). These more physical measures are only necessary because impatient drivers (of whom I fear you are one) are not deterred or retarded by merely advisory measures such as signs, road hatchings and markings, uncontrolled or even controlled crossings, traffic islands/pedestrian refuges - or even patiently waiting residents. Sally, it is not speed bumps that make me sick. Grrrr indeed!
I share Sally's frustration at the need for expensive engineering solutions to deal with the selfish ignorance of drivers whose speed and lack of attention for the highway code constitute a danger to others. I do not see how keeping hold of my child will slow the traffic or ensure that cars stop at the crossings? Driving at 20mph steadily uses less fuel than the accelerate, brake type driving that we see currently. Keeping hold of kids won't stop cars hitting other cars or bikes. As for crossing points, I'm sure those of us who have stood on a narrow central refuge with a buggy and watched the wheels of an articulated truck pass over the raised island will have a view on that.
I have to agree Sally, Wightman Road is a major through road, not a residential road. Anyone who bought a place on Wightman in the last 20 years knew what the traffic would be like. Beside which, 30mph isn't that ridiculously fast. They'd do better to stick a weight limit on the road to prevent the larger lorries using it.

And incidentally, I also agree on the emissions stuff. Speed bumps are proven to increase emissions and the stop/start driving doesn't really help anyone.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service