Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm fairly certain it's not Art...... Please Omega Works People, store your rubbish in your large yard, not on the narrow pavement.

Tags for Forum Posts: hermitage, omega, rubbish, veolia

Views: 3386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your councillors for this ward include Leader of the Council Clare Kober and Member for Finance Joe Goldberg. Have you written to them?

Yes, I have!

Perhaps I'm rare in doing both, and I appreciate you may have seen a lot of people that just whinge online to no very good purpose, but letting off steam in a forum doesn't (always) have to equal a lack of constructive action elsewhere. It's just good to be able to do it in a public forum as well.

Noo such assumptions made - just trying to be helpful.

Sorry Hugh - I think it just felt that way as it's the second time someone's said that to me this week (and if anything I probably need to lay off hassling the poor Cllrs!)

Perhaps I was one of the people saying this to you? If so please don't take it as criticism. Like Hugh, I was trying to help.

Nor do I see it as "hassling". As a councillor I'd prefer people to complain directly to the staff running services. But when reporting systems appear to fail repeatedly, I'd hope any councillor would want to know. (Particularly in their own ward.)

And in fact, so should any competent service manager. Changing patterns of similar problems can lead to a possible rethink of how and what services are provided. With waste, that needs doing from the ground upwards.

Yesterday one of my favourite bloggers gave an excellent example of how this applies - very literally - in her short piece called Genchi genbutsu and the dog's arse.

Aren't those Genchi genbutsu photos sufficient evidence for a permanent ban on urban/suburban/LBHaringey dogs, at least until arseless dogs evolve or brainless dogowners are extinct?

Doesn't this mean that Cllr Kober and Cllr Goldberg live too far away from their electorate?  Muswell Hill just isn't near the dog's arse.

OAE, I hope you've dipped into more blogs by systemsthinkingforgirls. In my view, she's really got the inside track on a lot of what goes on in local government and other bureaucracies. As well as living up to her claim to be "Britain's funniest systems thinking blog."

I applaud her insistence that managers get out of their offices and go and see what really happens "on the ground".  This may be in workplaces they manage as well as the streets, parks and back alleys, if that's where their services reach. To my personal knowledge, many of Haringey's best senior and middle managers do precisely this. And to be fair to Mr Nick Walkley the new Chief Executive, he has offered to do a "walkabout" with councillors. 

I'd insist on the same for councillors - for at least a significant part of the time. "Go and see for yourself, look, and listen"  is good advice. And that includes seeking the views of a wide range of local residents - and triangulating different perspectives on a problem.

I'm currently in talks with Cllr Joe Goldberg & regularly sent photographic evidence of the Carnage I have to live near>>

For anyone else faced with this sort of problem, the Council can serve legal notices if a business is dumping this waste. You may find they already have.

If your own repeated complaints don't have the required result, your ward councillors should be able to find out reasonably quickly if action is being taken - and request action if necessary.

By the way, Fix My Street has several advantages but basically it's a "switchboard" which forwards reports to each Council's own reporting system.

I've made some enquiries with the council and Veolia this morning - I have also alerted the cabinet member responsible, Cllr Nilgun Canver.  As pointed out by Alan, it would at least be useful to know what action is being taken to find a solution here.

Ganchi Genbutsu indeed :)

I am aware of residents in warehouses on overbury road road having similar problems and themselves petitioning the contractor. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service