Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

£100 fine if your garden is a tip: Homeowners who dump rubbish face on-the-spot penalties & more

In today's Daily Mail (click if you have the stomach for the paper)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2147814/100-fine-garden-tip...

I'm so happy.

Now they need to make breaking planning regulations (with deliberate intent) a criminal offence, ditto letting sub-standard or unsafe accommodation. There are too few rights for quiet, law-abiding, decent folk who are harrassed by anti-social morons.  We've got the full range of problems in our little street from fly-tipping, to rubbish dumping, to drug dealing, rogue landlords letting out slums and plenty of anti-social behavior.

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My only disagreement, Neil , is that many of the worst problems are not caused by people who break the Planning and other laws, but national politicians and others who loosen-up or abolish the regulations. And so make it legal to convert and let sub-standard property.

There's also a practical problem.  Enforcing the planning rules requires knowledgeable and competent planning staff, with the resources to take the lawbreakers to court. This doesn't come cheap; and isn't helped by Government cuts.

I especially like your proposal: "to make breaking planning regulations (with deliberate intent) a criminal offence". In cases uncovered by the Tottenham "community" investigation into Certificates of Lawfulness, we found fake utility bills and - in at least one case - a fraudulent Statutory Declaration. Substantial and repeated fines (which if unpaid can be secured on the property) could be a highly effective deterrent for developers tempted to cheat the system.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service