Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello everybody,

I am relatively new to the area but i have noticed a dramatical change in the number of planes going above our heads at the moment... No more early wake up calls with a big 747, and we can actually here the birds during dinner when we open the door to the garden. Bliss!

Can anyone tell me if this is too good to be true? Do we alternate plane traffic with another area?

In any case, the break is very welcome, especially with the sunny days we have enjoyed recently.

wondered if anybody had noticed?

Good day to all,

Sophie.

Tags for Forum Posts: aircraft noise, flights, planes

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the site Sophie.

I don’t think there is a massive flight path in Harringay, no more or less than anywhere else in London.

The biggest problem you are going to have with aircraft are the police helicopters, they can fly quite low and are noisy.

When I sit in my garden, mid Ladder road, it’s quiet; you can here the birds singing and the squirrels and foxes going about their business. Aircraft noise has never been a major concern for me, maybe we’re lucky.?
Hi, I agree, it has been wonderfuly quiet on the plane front in recent weeks. It's because aircraft have to land and take off into the breeze and since late April the wind has been predominently (and unusually) blowing in from the east, which is often associated with bright and dry weather. This means that the planes landing at Heathrow have been coming in from the west and waking up the good burghers of Reading, Slough, Windsor etc. The more "normal" scenario in London is for winds from the south-west, which means that planes follow the river Thames over central London, Hammersmith, Kew etc, having first circled over Harringay and elsewhere. Luckily for us, the orientation of Heathrow's runways means that we narrowly avoid the noise of planes taking off into the easterly winds, which affects places like Willesden, Cricklewood and Hendon.
Thank you for all the info! I finally have an explanation. Lets hope the easterly winds stay with us for the bank holiday!
Have a nice week-end.
It used to be like this until 9/11 when flights seemed to be rescheduled over us with no consultation. I suspect current reduction in flights due to econonic downturn / cost of fuel rather than concern for those poor people in north london. A local school has recently had its bell restored which is a pleasant alternative to the emergency services screaming along green Lanes, sirens blaring.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service