Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Bus on Forecourt of Queen's Head, Green Lanes 1909

In the early days of motor buses in London. A Berlin built Büssing is pictured on the forecourt of the Queen's Head pub on Green Lanes. The early motor bus routes carried on the tradition of horse buses & coaches by terminating at 'watering holes'.

These buses commenced operation on 6th May 1909, was very short lived, being withdrawn after service on 15th September of that year.

This was apparently the predecessor of Route 29, which was introduced two years later on 20th November 1911 and is still with us today.

Views: 185

Albums: Historical Images of Harringay from 1885 - 1918 | 2 of 3 (F)

Comment by Hugh on October 12, 2018 at 10:56

JYou can see one of the arched shopfronts in this photo.

Comment by Richard Woods on November 4, 2022 at 16:35

Interesting thought that as early as 1909 we were already importing buses from Germany...

The 29! Now that was a route to remember! The multiple joys of Enfield and Potters Bar at one end and Victoria Station, gateway to the South Coast, at the other!

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Harringay online to add comments!

Join Harringay online

Advertising

© 2023   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service