Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

All Discussions Tagged 'Harringay Arena' (21)

← Back to History of Harringay
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

World's first live transmission of ice hockey from the Harringay Arena

"The world’s first live TV transmission of ice hockey took place way back in 1938. It was on the 29th October from Harringay Arena in Londo…

Started by Liz

8 Jul 9, 2009
Reply by John D

Sabu at Harringay

In 1952, Sabu appeared at the Harringay circus with an elephant act. See photo here.

Started by Hugh

0 Jul 3, 2009

Harringay Arena Minutiae

Just a couple of bits I came across: 28th May 1951, Mr. Anthony Eden received a cordial reception when he addressed a big Empire Day Rally…

Started by Hugh

0 Feb 11, 2009

1938: Miss Cecila Colledge at the Harringay Arena

It seems that the great and the good could be seen at the Harringay Arena in the 1930s. Typical of charity events staged is this one ment…

Started by Liz

0 Dec 8, 2008

"I remember it as a surreal image, these silent masses trudging........."

Snippet from a London memories site: That was the name of the nearest tube station and the big pub on the corner of Green Lanes and Seven…

Started by Hugh

1 Nov 30, 2008
Reply by Liz

Norman Wisdom at the Harringay Arena

From Suite 101.com: Norman Wisdom made a guest appearance at Harringay Circus one year, and turned his spot into a masterpiece of the clow…

Started by Hugh

0 Sep 30, 2008

Found - the theme tune that opened the circuses at Harringay.

For ten years the resident band at the circuses was led by Charles Shadwell. Invariably at the opening of procedings his band played Down w…

Started by Hugh

1 Apr 6, 2008
Reply by Hugh

Tom Arnold of Tom Arnold's Harringay Circuses et al

If any of you has a passing interest in who Tom Arnold was, I've written a short Wikipedia article on him. (My curiosity was finally piqued…

Started by Hugh

1 Apr 6, 2008
Reply by Hugh

Found - Harringay Arena, London Music Festival Archive - First the Good News

This morning I received in the post and unceremoniously bundled lot of local historian's treasure - an archive of material, I think from th…

Started by Hugh

1 Mar 19, 2008
Reply by Hugh

Harringay Arena

Just updated the Wikipedia article on Harringay Arena- based almost entirely on the work of Mike Ticher, who is liberally acknowledeged in…

Started by Hugh

0 Nov 25, 2007

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service