Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've heard about the wonderful Zebra street art by TAG but I can't find it. Does anyone know which street it's on?

Tags for Forum Posts: street art

Views: 1445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Banging my head against a brick wall here. As long as you accept that not everybody likes all street art my work here is done

John D - Sadly, it appears to me that in both threads on HoL about street art/ graffiti  there isn'some "general acceptance that not everybody likes all street art".
On the contrary there seems to be little or no willingness to consider its possible downsides.
And no indication of a notion that a neighbourhood community might have some legitimate collective interest in maintaining an attractive streetscape. Because buildings can be beautiful - other than as a someone else's canvas to be sprayed/stencilled/painted on.

It's a difficult issue because involves taste and aesthetics which are individual responses. I think street art works if it enhances the place it is in so each work has to be looked at individually. I don't think there can be a simple judgement of "all street art is good" or "all street art is bad".
I look at that wall and think "is it more attractive and appealing with or without the zebra?" and for me, the answer is with. Your argument seems to based entirely on "what if I don't like it", but what's not to like about the zebra or indeed any of the work TAG have done so far. They are just trying to inject some colour into a grey world and I think they are doing a good job.

Is the ROA Hackney Rabbit attractive and appealing ?

Or distractive and appalling ?

I even like the crack-head rabbit!

So I take it you're not a fan of the Headington shark either...I think there should be room for the quirky...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Headington_Shark

thanks both of you. I'll be cycling past today to look at the lovely zebra. I'll try to shriek like your son.

P.S. Warren, I looked at the TAG website. Could you please explain why you are only: "keen to pursue a permission-granted policy".  Why not an absolute permission-granted policy?

Incidentally the art-wash in Brick Lane and other streets, is not just limited to back alleys. It seems to be spreading to many more of the Spitalfields streets. With pieces and "interventions" which perhaps many people may see as high quality art. Though usually accompanied by other stuff of perhaps less wonderful images. I expect it's collage, palimpsest and bricollage, though often liberally adorned with tags and posters. Plus on the pavement below - presumably - bits of Tracy Emin's last unmade bed before she left for Margate,

I have nothing to do with TAG, I just like the zebra.

My apologies, Warren, for jumping to that incorrect conclusion.

Maybe if someone from TAG reads this thread, they might like to say how the process works in practical terms.
And also what steps they take if and when taggers or other graffiti artists take the presence of authorised wall art as an amber signal - if not a green light - to add their own creations. Perhaps to the same or adjacent walls, or on nearby fences, bridges, phone cabinets, shop-fronts etc. That sometimes seems to be the sequence of events.

To be clear, I am not opposed to murals as such. I also accept that a high quality mural can actually enhance the streetscape. And may act as deterrent. Here's a city which takes that view.
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/manage-graffiti.aspx

Top of Waldeck Rd where it meets Stanmore Rd.   Facing down Waldeck....stunning....I love it

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service