Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I received the following email from Rob Chau of the Harringay Traders last night. Rob is the guy making the running with the plans for the forthcoming Mayor's Fund money that will be spent in Harringay.

As part of the Outer London Fund Round 1 actions, we are now going to replace the centre bridge banners even if only for a short period (Dec). This has presented us with an opportunityl. We want to put forward a message about all the OLF regeneration that is coming to Green Lanes. The idea is to design a much improved banner, until all the ads are out of commitment, and before Round 2 work starts.

Q. do you have any specific notion of what you would like to see up there?

I am meeting the graphics designers on Thurs, hopefully we can move collectively on this which needs to be confirmed before end of March!

Sorry it's short notice, GLA only gave us the green light on the funding today!

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay banner, harringay bridge, harringay name, harringay regeneration 2012-13, outer london fund

Views: 1667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll see if I can find out any more in the very short time available - but I think we're stuck with the ads until their contract runs out.

Here's more from Rob:

I think the existing ads expires June/July. We are not seeking to renew. 

The new design should inspire and inform the community.

I have spoken with Richard Harris.(Comment from Hugh: who offered Hol to help out

It's a blank canvas!

wow now that's an idea! the bridge being covered with a blank canvas. money saving and thinking out of the box. 

Sorry Rob-not dissing your enthusiasm and hard work which is appreciated but banners are not really the right medium for informing and inspiring people.....That reminds me of days living in communist China (1980s) when there were banners all over the place inspiring people to only have one child etc.

True inspiration and information comes about through good communication and through actions and behaviour and good examples being set by people. Not banners which usually just usually carry slogans and ads.  I think it is  expecting too much really to say banner has to inform and inspire. I still don't think the clear aims of having a banner have been articulated here. Sorry and good luck. 

Whatever steps are taken to invite people's ideas and input; no matter how many brilliant local writers and artists come up with amazing and wonderful suggestions and sketches for the format, colours, artwork and  wording on the new banner, I'd like to be the very first to grumpily criticise and condemn the entire project and its outcome.

Oh, dear. Stan beat me to it.

P.S. Has anyone on HoL ever spotted some street art / lamppost banners they do like?

Perhaps the next time they'll take a photo and post it here so we can all get some ideas?

And don't they look horrible !!

You're a dab hand with a camera, John. So I look forward to your shots of delicious, witty, uplifting, beautiful public art/banners/posters. (Not necessarily all at once.)

Mmm, thanks for that Alan.

HARRINGAY--wait...we can explain.

HARRINGAY--a bridge too far.

HARRINGAY--ceci n'est pas une bannière

HARRINGAY/GREEN LANES--jam today, jam tomorrow, jam every bl**dy day.

and seriously, folks:
GREEN LANES--The Pilgrims' Way.

Actually, I rather like the Magritte one.  The banner could be in the shape of a fish.

Like.

The Magritte favoured by me too. Ah, if only - it'd get people talking though - would show a sense of humour....actually the more i think about it, the more I could really talk myself into going for that.

I entirely agree. If it's only temporary anyway there's even more reason to have some fun with it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service