Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Are the works current happening near Jewsons at the moment, the implementation of the results of the traffic study?

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, wightman road improvements

Views: 6511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Tris . . .Sigh.  I do cycle  . .. the point is that the state of Wightman Rd means that cycling is difficult and so we are in a vicious circle -due to the massive volume of traffic on that narrow road. The vast majority of that traffic is not local - how else was there a fall in traffic of 90% to Wightman when the bridge closed?

The closure and the creation of cul de sacs must have created more ladder rung traffic (East bound journeys would also require extra return journeys) . . .   

The current changes have made things worse. 

One thing I have noticed through all this is the way that people who do not live on these streets (who often live on streets that do benefit from strategic road blocks - such as Gardens, Hermitage) are often very keen to think of reasons for retaining the convenience of being able to drive through Wightman Rd.

I see where you are coming from although it's a very simplistic view and without further analysis you can't really tell whether it is meaningful or not.

Obviously the big issue is that you're entirely disregarding Wightman Road. During the bridge closure the only way to get to most of Wightman was via the ladder. Therefore, by your logic, those movements on the ladder should also encapsulate local Wightman traffic and so we're suddenly another losing 55k cars per day looking at those daily differences.

However, regardless of the vagaries of the situation, pollution is only one small part of the issue. There's the noise pollution, the restriction on pedestrian movements, impact on cycling, etc.

Averaged out, Wightman Rd had a decrease of 10 cars every minute of the day when the bridge was closed. That is a huge difference.

As a pedestrian I am finding crossing Wightman an absolute nightmare now the islands have been removed. Cars are taking no notice of the build out whatsoever. The sooner those pedestrian crossings are built the better as it's really dangerous right now. 

Good grief. So much for the hope that the markings might make the 'improvements' a bit safer!! 

They seem to be doing this on all the chicanes.  There is no indication that there is a hazard, no attempt to establish priority. It is very misleading - there is not the space for cars to pass each other through the chicane - yet this line suggests there is.  Omnishambles. 

More road markings went in overnight on Wightman. It has now become starkly visible how much parking we have lost in our section of WIghtman (between Warham and Seymour) - approx 10 car spaces on each side have now been reduced to 3 on one side and 5 on the other (this is according to the plans) but a disabled bay has now appeared outside my house (nobody in our house is disabled) so I figure it should be outside the house of some one who actually needs it. That space is 6' 6" (as per new regulations) so has taken 1 and half spaces of our 5 parking spaces.  All the neighbours were in the street last night up in arms.  The parking pressure is now going to be unbearable and will spill into neighbouring roads thats for sure.

I spoke to the contractors putting in the lines at some length - they had pointed out to the council that there would be nowhere or residents to park if they took out so many spaces. The council weren't interested.

In addition the new lane markings are incredible narrow (I don't know but perhaps the road narrows somewhat along its length) but here cars will not be able to pass safely. The car bays are too narrow too - a Audi Q5 which was parked correctly in the bay (not on the pavement) was overhanging the bay alongside into the road.  Much car damage will now occur!

A polluted, dangerous road has been made even worse.  Haringey Council have really excelled themselves in sheer incompetence this time.

My cycle this morning after new markings put in - hellish.  I was close passed by every car that went past because the lanes are now so narrow - giving cyclists their 1 metre distance puts cars into the opposite lane - given the choice they are going to hit us rather than risk a head on collision

Cllr Zena Brabazon - if you are reading these posts - we really need some help here - this is absolutely not want residents wanted. The road is now totally unfit for purpose and all these issues need to be addressed before we have a fatality.

Here's the slide from the Council in Jan 18 about their predicted parking changes.

On the day this was presented, I made strong representations about the parking issues that would be created by the Council's proposals. They claimed there would be a net loss of 54 parking spaces. They also claimed high levels of parking vacancy on the Ladder rung roads. I disputed this and subsequently worked with the local residents organisation on two parking surveys. These bore out my doubts about about the accuracy of the Council's figures. But our data was essentially completely ignored by the Council

We made various representations other representation from the residents' organisation. This included concern about the lack of safe pedestrian crossing places. As a result, an additional zebra was added at the top of Allison. I think that the useless informal crossings were retained but I haven't see evidence of them yet on the ground.

Full documentation for the initial proposals is at the link above. The final plans are attached. If you're concerned about the loss of parking on Wightman, Karen, I wonder if a starting place might be to compare what's been delivered with what was promised?

Attachments:

Yes, it’s completely farcical. The council is not only incompetent, but dangerously so. It’s irrefutable that the road has become more dangerous for cars, cyclists and pedestrians alike. 

There’s another set of lines half finished because cars were parked there at the time!

That is the most amateurish road marking possible. That would be funny if it wasn't so very ******* dangerous. Incredible.

On the right hand side of the road, see how the SUV has STILL PARKED ON THE PAVEMENT!!!!! Despite being given it's own protected bay motor vehicle drivers will just do what they want to anyway.

This shows very clearly how the pinch points have increased the danger for vulnerable road users on Wightman Road.

Until enforcement get their act together and start issuing tickets you can use this form to report vehicles parked on the pavement (get a photo showing the number plate). 

https://eforms.secure.haringey.gov.uk/ufs/REPORT_A_PROBLEM.eb?WHAT_...

Laura, did you give any thought that the owner of that vehicle might be away and may not be as selfish as you suggest?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service