Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was just wondering this week how the other ladder roads are being affecting by the current Wightman closure.  Are any road benefiting more than others or suffering more traffic.  It would be really interesting to know as I have always thought that Wightman Road is the key to finding a solution the traffic issue on the ladder.

The traffic situation seems much calmer on Endymion both in the morning and evening and I walked down Green Lanes this morning about 7.30am and it didn't seem any more congested than normal (before the closure of WR). I appreciate that there are still issues with the traffic on Hornsey High Street coming down to Turnpike Lane.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there a reason you use a car to shop at "local independent shops"? If walking, shopping trolleys can be very useful for such trips. Some people travel by bicycle and use a pannier to put their shopping in. Perhaps that would work for you? Using a car for local independent shopping seems counter-intuitive.

Weight and length of items is the issue. 20 kg + and 3M length usually, not shopping trolly friendly.

Yes, I am often struggling to get the washing machine and golf clubs onto my bicycle. I completely understand. Sorry, am I presuming too much about your weekly shop?

Hi Karen,

Could you clarify for me - where are we at with all this? I take it there a movement for some form of redistribution of traffic and potentially some change to the current road system but is that anything more than a few disparate voices or is there a coordinated effort to approach the council about it all?

Hi, I live on Hampden, and the lack of traffic has been lovely, since we've effectively become a cul de sac. The absence of bin lorries, however, has been slightly less lovely.
No bin lorries at all?
Not quite that bad! But we've had two or three missed collections since the road changes. Not sure if it's cause the route is taking longer now?

I agree Alix. It's been great on Hampden since the road has been closed. I was playing football in the street with my kids the other day. It was like being back in the 70s!

There's a meeting for Hampden residents keen to see some permanent change to the level of traffic on the street. It's this Wednesday at 7pm. I'll find out more details if you're interested.

Jon

Given that most, if not all, of the Ladder residents must be aware of the closures by now, some measure of the non-local traffic can be gained from the number of vehicles queuing up to do U-turns on Wightman at Hampden Rd after entering from Turnpike Lane.

The signs that have hidden coyly behind trees advising drivers of which number Wightman Rd they can get to seem rather ashamed that they can't yell at people: No through route to Muswell Hill, Crouch End or Wood Green!

Not necessarily - doing a u turn there is the most rational  way to get onto Hornsey Park Road/Clarendon Road from Turnpike Lane. Which does make me think how strange it has been to have been disallowing the right turn and so forcing any traffic that comes from the South and East and that wants Hornsey Park Rd up  - -onto Wightman Rd via a rung road.  

They never did it before the Wightman closure: most drivers from the East U-turn on the hatched area on Turnpike Lane itself. But I agree that it would be better if there were a right-turn phase at the junction.

Why not a roundabout ? There's plenty of room.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service