Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was just wondering this week how the other ladder roads are being affecting by the current Wightman closure.  Are any road benefiting more than others or suffering more traffic.  It would be really interesting to know as I have always thought that Wightman Road is the key to finding a solution the traffic issue on the ladder.

The traffic situation seems much calmer on Endymion both in the morning and evening and I walked down Green Lanes this morning about 7.30am and it didn't seem any more congested than normal (before the closure of WR). I appreciate that there are still issues with the traffic on Hornsey High Street coming down to Turnpike Lane.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I have to say that this sort of journey is wholly inappropriate by car in most cases.

Lausanne Road is quieter proving that most of the traffic was non residential for people coming from East to West. I wish they would do the traffic count again during this period for comparison. Particularly thrilled not to have so many heavy vehicles bombing up the road as they have now worked out there is nowhere to go.  We observe quite funny moves on Wightman Road when walking to school/train station e.g. a woman sitting in a large vehicle staring at the bollards hoping to magic them away and another guy getting out of his car to try to move the bollards. Funnily enough there also seem to be fewer cars parked here which I am struggling to work out why.

Beresford Road when it was one way and Hewitt Road no right turn was so busy now the closure of Wightman Road Beresford Road is very quiet ah bliss.

Sapphire - how would YOU have managed the replacement of the bridge without dumping all the Endymion traffic onto Burgoyne  and Umfreville? Relied on the good sense of drivers to spread the traffic evenly over the other Ladder rungs ?

I am mostly a public transport user, and find that there are huge traffic issues still on Turnpike Lane/Hornsey Road, as well as on Green Lanes itself. Bus journeys are often doubled at least. Sapphire's post describes accurately my experience and that of others I know

And me too...It shouldn't take 50 mins to complete a bus journey of 3 miles as it did for me last night

3 miles, that's about 15 minutes on a bicycle...

Boogaloo for you...

As a non-driver I’m also a regular bus user and agree that Green Lanes journeys have become almost impossible at certain times, particularly in the evening rush hour. I’ve seen numerous buses having their journeys foreshortened in both directions (including 29s being turned round at the Salisbury, which hasn’t happened for many years), presumably because they can’t keep to even the normal approximate timetable, and was turfed off a 29 at Finsbury Park this week when it was turned back because Green Lanes was solidly blocked from Manor House to St Ann’s. 

It’s easy to sympathise with Ladder residents relishing the contrast with previous levels of noise and pollution (I would, too), and, in a ideal world, of course many more people would walk or cycle instead of using cars. But the Wightman closure has shown that the knock-on effect on many of those already “doing the right thing” and using public transport is to make their lives harder and more stressful instead. And of the 120,000 cars previously using Wightman, some at least must have been people working in central London but unable to afford to live closer to their employment, a problem that current planning and transport policies will only exacerbate. 

If the immediate problem is how to balance the needs of Ladder residents and those who still have to use Green Lanes, have any of the Wightman/Burgoyne/Mattison, etc, residents here got a workable long-term solution that would make their roads better without penalising buses, services and - yes - residents of Green Lanes?

Central London is a 5.5 mile cycle ride from Harringay. That's not the point though. Many of these car journeys, Sapphire's included, are perfectly possible by bicycle. The problem is EVERYONE ELSE, of course, using their vehicles for almost exactly the same short journey you are making. The traffic puts me off using my bicycle too so I get it but Hello!!!!: YOU ARE THE TRAFFIC TOO.

Are you now saying that even bus users are part of the traffic problem?

Thanks for the words in my mouth Antoinette but no, as has been demonstrated on here many times before, it is purely the private motorcars that are the problem, especially because most of them, despite having space for five passengers, are singly occupied.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service