Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This may not be news to you but not only are Ladder roads affected and Turnpike Lane but the whole of Hornsey Park road is blocked from the junction to Mayes road and beyond. So i turned around and went through Ally Pally to get to Hornsey and the whole of High Street and Priory Road to bottom of Muswell Hill is at a standstill. God knows what rush hour will be like each day and once kids back at school.

That's my rant for the day over.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 14535

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Why this comment? What do you mean. Are you saying that someone who chooses to take their child out of the area for nursery is taking a view on the suitability of the neighbours' children? If so, how on earth do you know that.

They could perhaps have lived closer to the school in the past, however had to move home, and either decided they would not up root their children from there friend as it was still close enough to travel too, or are awaiting a place in a new school, or wish an academic year to end first, or even just failed to get into as school closer.

Laura. Troll.
South Tottenham to Muswell Hill is nearer four miles.
Fair enough - sounds like more nurseries are the answer!
While you've got your magic wand out sorting out nursery provision, can you also sort out school places, affordable housing and the NHS

North of Wightman - all day today...

South of Wightman - all day today...

Can't see it improving when the schools are back.

No-one is saying anyone doesn't have a choice (or asking anyone questions)!

Our choice if you can call it such is due to a lack of option close to home when we needed it. It was clear we would have to travel for a nursery and as parents who work in central London we had to find somewhere that would also enable our onward commute. The situation is quite frankly a nightmare but our child is settled and the nursery is amazing - which is what most parents want, a great place where their children can thrive not just the nearest local situation available (or in our case not) accepted purely for locality. I mention this not to fan the flames of discussion of nursery choice but in hope we can focus on the topic in hand. Yes there are too many cars on the road but there are also too many commuters on public transport. The whole system is creaking under the weight that increased population and poor town planning has placed upon it - i.e you can't just keep building upwards and increasing local populations without also investing in infrastructure. Yes the ladder has undoubtedly suffered from increased traffic in the last 15 years but that is not isolated to this area, roads or transport system alone. It is a general London problem. Although it sounds like Haringey Ladder has also suffered from poor road policy but more of the same is not the solution.
People drive when the alternative is too grim - rush hour on public transport with a baby and toddler is my reason but there are many more. Our roads are not obsolete forms of transport and vital in easing the congestion on our already overcrowded public transport. Be glad some of us are willing to sweat it out in horrendous traffic. It's all about balance. Which brings me back to the bridge closure (necessary to do the strengthening work) and the closure of all of Wightman Lane which has left chaos across our borough and surrounding boroughs for ALL who use the roads, motorised and non motorised alike.
This level of disruption is dangerous and unacceptable. The loss in productivity from such a large area no longer being traversable by road, eye-watering. There are those hoping the current plan will work in a week or so when traffic finds new routes. There are those who don't believe it can resulting in months of chaos. Someone who can effect a change is presumably watching and will make adaptations as necessary - I hope.

Sent from my iPhone

Nicole I think you have been unfairly criticised here, it is no one else's business what nursery you choose.

In the past I did a 2 mile journey through London to send my daughter to an amazing nursery. I initially trialled a local one but withdrew her as it was dire.

Now I am appreciating how much more pleasant life is when you can walk to childcare/school.

I can recommend some very good childcare options in south Tottenham, send me a PM if you are interested. There are excellent options locally. With the road works it might be worth thinking about them.

Another option I trialled was cycling. You can get a Christiana bike that will sit 2 children. It works around the traffic, but I know many wouldn't be comfortable cycling. I had to stop due to health reasons, and went back to the 2 mile per hour bus journeys (no exaggeration!)

" Be glad some of us are willing to sweat it out in horrendous traffic."

You are the traffic.

'Horrendous traffic'  is not some magical force - it is created by people making decisions - that have a huge impact on everyone else.

honestly I am sympathetic because i have children and have been through various nursery and school related nightmares involving complicated travel and lack of school places difficult decisions been there etc. I'm fully aware of the hypocrisy of telling you not to do what i did but i'm doing so partly because I really know what price I paid in personal wear and tear to do so- it's extremely stressful. In fact I now work in a school in Central London and commute there daily on tube/trains (in term time) with a young child and have done since he was 6 so feel pretty well qualified to say it is definitely possible although i'd really rather not of course but that is a different story. Even though as a thoroughly right on irritating person I have a hybrid car, access to parking and partial Congestion zone exemption- there is *no way* I would drive to work. 

BTW I love christiania bikes and the like. But- getting that up Muswell Hill unless you have electric assist would be a 'no' I suggest they are fabulous but heavy. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service