Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Attached.

Below is an image of the pedestrian/cyclist footbridge which is now in place, hanging out over the railway line alongside the foootbridge. Following the cyclist assault incident last week, note the cycle barriers.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3521

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally agree MIchael. It's not a question of whether it's legally enforceable or not - and can we spare a policeman to stop cyclists and levy a fixed penalty ? - it's a matter of care and consideration for others. sadly lacking in today's " me first " society.

Liz / Hugh. Are you still giving out Meldrew awards ?

Which reminds me -yesterday I saw a contestant on a TV game show asked " in the periodic table of elements, which is the one that doesn't belong - gold silver or bronze ? " The contestant answered " Bronze isn't an element, it's an award "

I'm going to put a sign up on Green Lanes, a really good one that looks the business, and it's going to say: Pedestrians bend the knee.
It will be a bit fascist too.
Come on John. What is the big deal about getting off a bike and pushing it along a narrow walk way. It adds, what, maybe 30-60 seconds to your journey and creates vast amount of goodwill.

Ride a bike and find out. Nobody is asked to get out of their car and push, we spend billions on infrastructure to make sure of it.

Don't have a bike John, just legs and an Oyster card so I must be missing something about the technicalities of getting off a bike.
"Can't make me - shan't do it"....it does come across as more "petulant teenager" than "responsible citizen"

What if I rode in your car with you and MADE you stick to the speed limit?

When a cyclist passes me in a tight space I have no idea if they are competent and won't bang into me, why should I trust them not to unless they are walking. Same goes for dog owners, why should I trust "he won't hurt you" when some erratic dog is dashing about. In both cases the pedestrian is made to feel vulnerable particularly if you add failing sight and reduced mobility, or someone with little kids into the mix.

Replying "Well, cars do such and such," is irrelevant and off topic. We're asking cyclists to be polite and courteous. That appears to be unreasonable and worth countering again and again? And too much to ask. What a shame.

Much of the time you are a pedestrian John.

Are you sure you're not confusing them with similar signs placed in the road?

At any rate, in the circumstances it's a simple courtesy to walk the short distance over the bridge. Precisely the sort of behaviour that might make people more sympathetic to cyclists if/when discussions take place over the future of Wightman Road.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service