Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Attached.

Below is an image of the pedestrian/cyclist footbridge which is now in place, hanging out over the railway line alongside the foootbridge. Following the cyclist assault incident last week, note the cycle barriers.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3519

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cyclists are supposed to dismount I have myself seen some not doing so. There is a clear sign which says cyclists dismount

I looked into these signs and they're legally unenforceable and "just signs". They should dismount but there're lots of things people should do, stay within the speed limits whilst driving for one.

John, cycling on the footway is an offence under Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 as amended by Section 85 (1) of the Local Government Act 1888.

The enforcement of cycling offences is an operational matter for local police forces. The police use the Fixed Penalty Notice of £30.

Both the temporary passageway on the pavement in place up to last week and this fridge were/are footways.

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but something that has bugged me for years (and I mean years).

I was in the City 6-7 years ago and car were pulling merrily into the box reserved at the head of traffic for cyclists at the lights, leaving me and others very little space to use. I asked a copper who was stood there if there was anything they could do and his response was that there was nothing he could enforce, as it was 'voluntary'. I do not know if he was flipping me off, or he was serious?

As far as I know, the ASL is legally enforceable. If a car enters on a green but cannot cross before the lIghts go red he is OK. But it's an offence to cross the ASL when the lights are already red.

I think he was right Justin, just as 'cycle lanes' are not enforced, since there is no penalty associated with driving or parking in them.

"Crossing the first or second ASL line when the light is red makes you liable for a £100 fixed penalty, three points on your licence, and endangers vulnerable road users".

From the Met Police website. So I wish they would enforce it! 

They do now actually. Drivers in the city are very respectful of the ASLs.

Hm. Thanks! I thought so!

Not sure it's a simple as that. A footway is defined in law as a pavement or path running alongside a road. I suppose it could be argued that the temporary bridge does not run alongside a road. There is no blanket prohibition to cycling on footpaths (a pathway not alongside a road). In addition Home Office guidance on the use of FPNs for footway cycling state this is discretionary and should only be used for those cycling 'inconsiderately'.

The solution would have been to build a temporary bridge wide enough for sharing. As part of the pre-work consultation process this request was put to Network Rail.

Who knows what tangles a clever lawyer could tie. 

Well, perhaps this a great way for cyclists to display their moral superiority.
I get a bit sick of "it's not legally enforceable". Neither is the sign on Beachy Head warning people not to stand too close to the edge but people who do it anyway are really rather thick.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service