Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I just received a letter (see attachment) from the Haringey Planning Service. It's about a planning application for a 2-bedroom house, to be built in a garden nearby.

Now I don't want to interfere with anybody's plans, but I can't help feeling that gardens are not houses for a reason, and exist for people to have a bit of outside space, for wildlife, providing drainage for rainwater (esp. in conditions where climate change is likely to cause more frequent flooding) etc. Looking up the application online, I also noticed that the people applying for it are not the ones living at the address. So it does look a bit like it might be an attempt by a landlord to cram in as many people as possible into a space that hasn't been constructed for it. It just generally doesn't strike me as a brilliant idea.

Anyway. Does anybody else have views on this, and what is the best thing to do? I do feel like I probably want to object, but would also like some opinions first, as well as what would be the best grounds on which to do so.

Thank you!

Tags for Forum Posts: environment, garden, hmo, planning permission

Views: 3204

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that's essentially converting the garden into a house. I see that it's also proposed to make it a two-storey house.I  do hope that this doesn't get approval. It sounds like it shouldn't - see 'A' below.

Here's what Haringey's Policy DM7( Development Management Policies (2017) says:

Development on Infill, backLand and garden Land SItes

A. There will be a presumption against the loss of garden land unless it represents comprehensive redevelopment of a number of whole land plots.

B. Development proposals for infill, backland and garden land should meet the requirements of Policies DM1 and DM2 and must:

a  Relate appropriately and sensitively to the surrounding area as well as the established street scene, ensuring good access and where possible, retaining existing through routes;

b  Provideasitespecificandcreativeresponse to the built and natural features of the area;

c  Where appropriate, repair or re-provide street frontages and provide additional passive surveillance and increased security;

d  Safeguardprivacy,amenity,andensureno loss of security for adjoining houses and rear gardens;

e  Retain and provide adequate amenity space for existing and new occupants;

f  Incorporate at least one street frontage or be ancillary to the host dwelling and the adjacent houses/terraces; and

g Not result in‘gated’ developments that prevent access which would normally be provided by a publicly accessible street.

Thanks, and sorry, I'd meant to put in a link to the planning application, but somehow it pasted in the plan instead. 

I was surprised that it got as far as this -- or does any application warrant a consultation, regardless of how unrealistic it is?

In any case here is the link to the application that I'd meant to post in the first place

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/Applica...

You did put a link. Thank you. 

I think anyone can put in an application for anything. But most tend not to if there's no chance it will succeed. 

As this is in the "Pending Decision" stage I'm guessing the window is open for people to object to this proposal, and if I were in the vicinity of this planned work I certainly would be objecting for all the reasons mentioned above! Plus it could really have detrimental affect to the natural light neighbouring properties get.

Ha! Even for our area, this is something else. To be honest, it's a really peculiar waste of time of an application, I can't see it ever being approved. Even so, you should object to it if you don't think it's appropriate.

You could point out it is entirely contrary to Haringey's policy DM7 in their Development Plan that relates to garden development. That's online if you want to look it up. You can also refer to lots of other things, but make sure they are 'material considerations'. If you google that phrase it'll give you a list of what is relevant to planners. 

Thank you George and Costa! Very helpful. Objections until the 25th of August. While I'm reluctant to alienate my near neighbours, I will most likely object to this.

If only the owner who submitted a building plan like this shared your neighbourly concern, clearly they don't give their fellow neighbours much consideration at all!

We will certainly be submitting an objection to this plan. Maren - I wouldn't be too concerned about alienating a neighbour as this plan has been submitted by a property developer who I'm sure is not as concerned about the local area as you are. 

I have also posted about this on Nextdoor app in the hopes that other people see it and object.

... "material consideration is a matter that should be taken into account in deciding a planning application or on an appeal against a planning decision.

Material considerations can include (but are not limited to):

Overlooking/loss of privacy
Loss of light or overshadowing
Parking
Highway safety
Traffic
Noise
Effect on listed building and conservation area
Layout and density of building
Design, appearance and materials
Government policy
Disabled persons' access
Proposals in the Development Plan
Previous planning decisions (including appeal decisions)
Nature conservation
However, issues such as loss of view, or negative effect on the value of properties are not material considerations."...

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/final_haringe...

I wonder if these requests for planning permission are taken seriously.  I live in Bounds Green but it must be the same Planning Department as for the Ladder.  However, it seems that all requests are accepted.  We have objected to several but it never seems to make any difference, so you probably need to ensure that there is a strong campaign.

One of the neighbours in a house on my street has got permission to build a "shepherd's hut" which looks quite big plus an extension to his ground floor flat.

Good luck!

As far as I understand it, local planning rules forbid splitting houses into two flats in this area, so squeezing two houses into one plot seems an outrageous suggestion. Might be worth checking if they have already started building and are trying to get planning permission retrospectively - there's plenty of that goes on around here.

I've objected and I hope others will too.

They haven't yet started - nothing in the garden currently!

I don't think there's anything against extending existing properties or splitting houses into flats, but I've not ever seen a whole entire property built on the garden space. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service