Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Hale works Tower, centerpiece of the development off Ferry Lane in Tottenham, was originally planned for 18 stories. It is now to be 32 stories high.

This may just be one of the new tall buildings that will soon be dotting the centre and the east of the borough.

Haringey Tall buildings plan shows towers mainly concentrated in Wood Green, New River and Tottenham.

Some of these buildings will no doubt be a welcome development, but residents will do well to continue to play a part in monitoring what's going on.

As we know from the Hampden Road development, for whatever reason, Haringey sometimes fly in the face of their own policies and approve tall buildings wherever they see fit. (Although, having said that, whilst the Hampden Road development WAS approved in contravention of Haringey's own policy, I have to admit, that having seen it built, I can't say I object to it).

Tags for Forum Posts: tall buildings

Views: 1926

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know.

I realise that I will see the damn thing from my garden and house wndows. Along with the new Gringer high rise at Seven Sisters.

Bleurkkkkk!

Are the developers going into an erection competition with the towers under construction at the Hale Wharf and proposed for the Ashley Road West sites?

Wait 'til you see what is also planned for Northumberland Park. Just how all these new residents will travel on already overcrowded peak rail and tube services beats me!

The developers are perhaps anticipating that the upper floors will be sold to overseas investors as buy-to-leave.  That was certainly the case with the tower at Hale Wharf, which you may recall was advertised in the South China Morning Post before a brick of the foundations had been laid.

More floors = more homes

But for the people who need them most? 

It all has a knock on effect.  More property available to rent or buy, keeps prices in check, allowing more people to get on the property ladder.  The only way to make homelessness worse is to continue to build nothing.  The age of social housing is dead.

Yes the good old trickle down effect so that we get crumbs more crumbs and even more crumbs. But just crumbs all the same.

Antoinette your reasoning is just not borne out by the evidence...

5 housing crises and please note the last/5th one.....

"Finally, and arguably far more importantly than the supply crisis the government fixates on, there is a problem of cost and credit. In many parts of the UK the level of house prices is determined as much by how easily and cheaply people can borrow than by actual housing need."

There are a multiple reasons for the housing crisis, but I don't see how building more homes can possibly be one of them.

Developer builds 1000 homes. Good.

At a price point where (say) 80% of possible buyers/renters can pay the mortgage or rent - still good. But developer's price point is where 20% can afford it. Still 1000 homes. But...

And non-developer housing (social housing) is, as you say, dead or very nearly so (glimmers like St Ann's excepted). New Labour did nothing significant to change the system when they had the 13-year opportunity.

I agree with all of that.  I wish I knew the answer, but condemning large scale projects just on the basis of their scale, because they ruin the view from your garden???

Because the top 15 or so floors will be more or less empty,  owned by ghost landlords who have no intention of renting. People's views of the sky are blotted out by wealthy people who want to hide their money in bricks and mortar. It's like having a Trump tower at the end of your garden.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service