Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Who ever knew such a gem lay within Haringey!

There has been a lot if filming at St Ann's Hospital  lately and I found the Admin Building open one day so finally had the chance to wander into the Stables. It is much loved by older NHS staff on site and had been on my wishlist to visit for some time.

It is one of the most exciting spaces I've been into but it is currently due for demolition under the current redevelopment plans by Catalyst Housing.

Local gems being destroyed by outsiders does not sit well with me. This space must be retained as public space for the local and wider Haringey community.

Keep an eye out in 2022 for the filming productions - Ragdoll and the Midwich Cuckoo

Tags for Forum Posts: st ann's hospital, st ann's redevelopment

Views: 1487

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I expect the site of the spring is the area of blue shown in the surveyor's 1891 map. That's not hard to credit. I know there was underground water elsewhere in the area - see the text in this article above and below Fig. 18). But the lake is a tough one to take on board.

Hi Viv

Hope you are keeping well, I’m Rebecca, (the person who spoke to Hugh about the waterway under Salisbury’s Mansions on St Ann’s road), and it’s really great to chat with you! I seen your post on the history of the St Ann’s Hospital and the lake which originated there (with boats); as you probably gather from my post on the subject, I am so intrigued by all this!

So the story goes that when my husband was a boy, he was overlooking the back garden of 47 Salisbury Mansions (from his neighbour’s back garden at 57 Kimberley Gardens). He witnessed seeing a door unlocked in the garden, with some steps which led down to a wooden boat with oars on some water. This was prob around 1979/1980.

In 1999 we sent a note through the door of the Mansions, explaining what he had seen all those years ago. Number 47 kindly answered us by sending a note back to my husband at Kimberley Gardens, stating that he is correct however, they had to board-up the door and the steps in the 80’s, as the water kept rising upwards and flooding the place! When we had time, we went to see the residents of no.47 in 2000, but the apartment had new owners, and they said they knew nothing of this waterway!

We then looked on Google Earth at the back garden of no. 47, and we can see what appears to be something like a black ‘shed’ that has closed over the door and the steps.

It has been a mystery to us for so long and still is, because this ‘lake’ does not appear on any maps or documentation! I am so intrigued, yet also happy that another person has corroborated something along the lines of a ‘secret’ underground lake at St Ann’s road. Is there anything else you can tell me about this? When did you make contact with the Estates Manager? Do you think Harringay Council may have any further information on this?

I am going to by writing to the Society, who is the freeholder of these mansions, to see if they can shed any light on the subject.

If this is the case (that there is some ‘secret underground waterway’), it is a shame that this space will be utilised for another ‘development,’ than to sustain its history!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service