Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today I stumbled across this guy Ted Dewan and his roadwitch trial - unbelievably inspiring stuff.
well worth checking this video of him talking through his work, blogged about it here

should we consider a trial....

Tags for Forum Posts: speed humps, traffic

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a small price to pay for safer streets and slower traffic (they do work) in my opinion.
Yes they do work; slowing cars down and shaking people's houses to bits. Home Zones are a far better solution in my opinion but I guess all we'll ever do is talk about it !!
Agree (but recognise that I may be in the minority).
Sadly John, they do work. I have one outside my bedroom window and I either hear the 4WDs not braking and hitting the ground after their lovely leap over said hump, or I hear other vehicles braking and then accelerating away. I doubt they would have braked if it were not for the road hump. The trouble is, the road hump does not work for everyone. Road narrowing like they have in other boroughs would certainly fix this issue of bigger vehicles not being bothered by the humps.

BTW, you get a nice chat down the pub no matter what kind of stuff you write here (because you're fun to talk to as well) but you're still fair game for a person who believes that roads belong to people, not cars.

Kids played in Lausanne Rd in the 70s when there were only a handful of Consuls and Anglias around.
Islington do it, Camden do it....
I agree.
Home Zones have been around for some time now in Holland. Here's one closer to home in Bristol. They can certainly work and don't need to be DIY paint splashing exercises!

Like this campaign from the website Dan linked to;

Agree.

its a thorny issue eh.

The road systems we have inherited weren't designed for the volume of traffic and vehicles that now exist, and if you think that city streets are all about the car, you're misguided. Any current and future city planning is designing around people, bikes and public transport, not cars. Because there's now a clear and recognised understanding that traffic and roads disrupt community, as well as being unsustainable and polluting.

I'm not anti car, I'd rather be on a bike, but we need the car from time to time.

What I've an issue with is drivers and driving and the volume of cars. People in car after car, on their own, in their own bubble, unaware of anyone else, putting their foot down. For them its just a road, they don't see the people for whom this is home and life.

What's interesting about Ted Dewan is he's experimenting with ways to shift the focus back to the people who live on the street, not the driver cutting through, surely the right thing?

Its not about decorating the street with crazy installations, its about trying things which might have a positive effect. again surely common sense.

I'd still love to trial the kids sock bunting on hewitt road though, just to see what happens, if it makes any difference, surely it would at the very least be an interesting test which could also be quite fun?

I think Home zones is exactly the sort of long term solution. Can we push to submit a pilot in harringay/hewitt road?

I'm sure this is something to be included in proposals which come out of the holistic traffic survey. I agree on humps, get the same issues in Umfreville road, large volumes and lots of HGVs and the like which don't help.
And Falkland Rd, which has a school. Who funds them: council, TfL, lottery?
I don't usually get mixed up in issues like this one.. But I've been thinking over what I've read here and I think your problems are not dissimilar to the ones we had in my area: Yes I know it's a different city, but we have cars and children too!

What you need to do is for the pedestrians to take over the streets again.. What I would suggest is to pave over the entrances to all ladder roads at both ends - by just making the pavement on Green Lanes and Wightman Road continuous. It will still be possible to drive through, but the roads would all be designated 'Pedestrian streets' meaning Pedestrians now have the right of way. In addition I would place at least one, but perhaps two larger pedestrianised points on the roads. Basically what I mean is to pave across the road at Harringay Passage - double as wide as the passage is. Not a hump, more a plateau..

Here some examples of what I mean.. We don't have any racing traffic now.. A much friendlier environment for everyone..

By looking at the kerb you can see how the road surface rises to the level of the 'plateau' The paving stone markings (colour and type) clearly indicate that the pedestrians have a right of way.

The entrance of of all roads to be signposted so.. Pedestrians have Right of Way..
You can also see here how the road surface rises..

And when leaving so... The pavement is not continuos here, but is at the other end..

One last thought.. another 'plateau' could for instance be positioned across the road where the Fairlands Park is..

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service