Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Reading an interesting article, with examples from the UK and the US, about how place branding by communities can have a positive impact including: attracting and retaining talent; shifting negative perceptions; supporting economic recovery; stimulating demand, and strengthening civic pride. 

Read the article yourself here.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay name, place branding

Views: 1551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HARRINGAY, HARRINGAY HARRINGAY - is it a brand or not? All I know is that it is awesome, fantastic and a great place to live - it is my home.

Yes, of course, FPR. It IS a website for Harringay. Why would we write Haringey?

To include the whole borough ? Widen the audience.

To what end? 

For me, one of the biggest draws of HoL is that it is about things that are very, very local to me where I live, in Harringay.  I have no problem with people posting things about other parts of Haringey (or even the neighbouring bits of Islington and Hackney), as I also like to know what's going on nearby and I don't think the site should be exclusive.  However, if the focus changed so that I received from HoL the same level of detail and volume of posts about each other area in Haringey as I currently see about Harringay, I would be much less likely to visit the site, as the content I am interested in would be so heavily diluted.   For me, nothing has changed since the last time this very discussion was hashed out - if others want sites for different parts of the borough, then there's no reason they can't go off and create them.

No reply button on your last reply ....

To what end ? To create the online home for haringey residents. Why ? Because haringey residents would be better served by a decentralised borough wide media forum than the top down newspapers that currently serve mostly the interests of their media press barons than the general public or the ad hoc disunited forums that exist at present.

This place is the best counter weight / opposition / citizen involvement haringey council has had for years. let's make it stronger and include more people.

It only goes to eight levels.

Where would you stop though?  Say you get your borough-wide forum - when would that stop being enough and you'd think a London-wide forum is needed, then a regional one and then a national one?

There are neighbourhood forums for Tottenham, Bounds Green, Stroud Green, Noel Park and Crouch End. Generally there's some overlap with neighbouring areas and borough-wide issues get an airing.

Why would we need to duplicate their work with a Haringey version? What would we offer that couldn't be read and discussed on those sites?

This argument was conducted fairly recently. The overwhelming consensus was that it should be a site for Harringay not Haringey. It's a small enough area to feel local, to know regular posters, to spot your real life friends online. To be about things you see and experience every day. Why do you need to widen the audience?  I don't care that much about pavements in Muswell Hill, or railings in Bounds Green, and I don't share a sense of being neighbours with people from there as I do from Harringay.

As Liz said there are lots of other forums around or you could set up on your own. HoL does not have a remit to provide a "decentralised borough wide media forum" for the residents of Haringey.

To me, HOL already feels like a borough wide forum. A site IS its users. It would be interesting to know how many of us don't actually live on the ladder or the other side of green lanes. Recent discussions on here have been about Wood Green, Finsbury Park, Tottenham, Crouch end, Borough Politics ( always!). I'm over in Tiverton RD, soon to be branded 'on the fringes of the buzz that is 'The Warehouse district' but a short walk up st Anne's Road brings me to the Salisbury, The Restaurants, The Veg Shops, Hardware Stores and Bakerys, I feel that 'Harringey' it is part of my community too, A stroll up Hermitage brings me to Sainsbury's and Finsbury Park. I'm also close Seven Sisters and Bruce Grove, 10 mins on the 67 to my old stomping ground, Our own beloved Wood Green. Why not end confusion and embrace the Borough, put in the three R's We HEART HARRRINGEY! :-))))
No of course it doesnt just a suggestion thats all.

Time to feed the cat ... or the wren, or both. Too many decisions, so little time.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service